Best Jazz EUB - Not a poll!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by fretlesschris, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Hi all,
    I have finally gotten the OK from my banker (read wife :p ) to purchase new bass to use in my jazz group. I've got an AUB that I don't like hauling to the gig and then trying to find room on the dinky stages we play, so i've been using my Elrick 5, but I want a more upright sound.

My price range is 2.5-3K and I'm wondering if those of you who actually use or have heard one can give me some advice. I'm not necessarily soliciting people who are selling theirs, but I will be buying one soon.

Does anyone know anything about the Yamaha advertised in this years Buyers Guide?

ps - I play through a SWR Super Redhead and the group is a trio (bass, guit, drums) w/ a female vocalist.

Thanks in advance,
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've always liked the style of Azola's, and something about the Fichter bass speaks to me. I'm currently building an EUB based loosely on Fichter's design using a Highlander pickup. Do a search on Bob Gollihur (All Hail!) here... his site has a ton of links and information of acoustic and EUB's. I know this doesn't help much, but Bass Player pretty much panned the Yamaha 'Silent Bass' in their review. I'm not sure if this is the bass you're talking about, or how much stock you want to put in a magazine's review...

Good luck!
  3. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I'll second the negative for the Silent Bass. Cleavinger's are ok, but the best I've tried is the hollowbody Eminence. Remarkably good sound.

4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you want an upright-like response from an EUB, I think the Eminence or the floating-top Azola Scarab are the way to go.

The Czech-made Steinberger is also in the same price range. It's a solidbody instrument, so it won't respond the same way as a traditional upright. I've fooled around with it, though, and the workmanship and tone are very good.
  5. I own a Carruthers SUB1 which is decent for the price but my favorite was an Azola floating top Bug Bass I played at the Azola shop. It had the most natural sound of all the eub's I've tried. It is more expensive of course. :)
  6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I liked the Eminence with the original pickup, especially its feel, as an URB, not BG player. Haven't heard it with the Realist, which is not one of my favorites.

Azola has some fine stuff, many flavors.

The NS Design's photos attracted me, but playing it turned me off.

I was very impressed with Moses EUB at Bass Day 99 and just in July at NAMM Nashville. I'll be talking with Steve at NAMM in a less than two weeks and will give it another workout. It may be the first EUB I'll carry. I liked not only its feel but the sound of its unique pickup-very real.
  7. Thanks to everyone for their replies. It has helped alot.
    Bob, I can't wait to hear about the NAMM show and the Moses EUB. I wish I was a dealer so I could go!

Several people have suggested waiting until afterr NAMM and see what comes out there. Sounds like that will be my plan.

Thanks again

8. fed, :p
    I agree with most of what you said, but the physical realities of cramped stages and needing to use a pick-up on the AUB anyway (and the K&K comes closest, but still not completely transparent - although it might be the amp too) still leaves me unsatisfied.

If I can have a close sound and get convenience ta boot, I'm jumpin in! I've got an AUB that I can always use, but the flexibility of an EUB is darned attractive!

9. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    The day is not far off when we will discuss which modeling program sounds most like that Testore.
  10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I hear the new Toneworks PX3B Bass Pandora has a killer "Panormo" setting, but word on the street is that the "Mirecourt" patch is still a bit scratchy....a bit too much electronic rosin, perhaps?
  11. Did Testore know that he was making "AUB"'s?