Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BEST Jazz/Funk bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigsammy, Apr 30, 2001.

1. bigsammy

bigsammy

Jan 29, 2001
    Moline, IL
    heyyyyy
    help me! im lookin for a new bass that is perfect for jazz and funk! i was thinking about custom building a bass but if theres one that you think is awesome, let me know! heres what i was thinking....
    Jazz Bass style
    -Swamp Ash body (seafoam green or baby blue)
    -birdseye maple neck with a frettless ebony frettboard
    -Bartolini, EMG, Lindy Fralin, or whatever pickups(give me opinions on what you think)
    -J-Retro, Aguilar, or whatever(opinions please)
    -Pearloid pickguard
    -i have no clue about the bridge, opinions!
    -Ultralite tuners with a D-tuner
    -straplocks

tell me what you think and give me all the opinions you can!
    PLEASE! I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!
    thanks!
    sam
    bigsammy@qconline.com

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Jazz and Funk?

I'll list two I know are popular for the two... Fender MIA Jazz basses, Music Man Stingray, and Reverend Rumblefish.

3. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    I agree with above also check out MIA jazz dlx and the the Sterling by Musicman

4. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    bassheavy what you're saying is can u get funky with a jazz bass.right?try a lakland also bigsammy.
    my custom mex j-bass is funky.

5. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Check out my washburn in the for sale forum, its great for funk and jazz.

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    IMHO get a Mim or sh Mia Jazz and 'upgrade' with new pickups and electronics. It will be easier to sell.

7. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Fender Jazz

Take your pick....

MIM
    MIJ
    Active
    American Standard
    American Deluxe

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    AmDlx Jazz fretless for jazz, Stingray 5 for funk.

9. Sounds like you're describing a Sadowsky. If you wanted to build one I've seen some pretty nice ones like you describe built using Warmoth parts. What's your budget?

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    warwick thumb/streamer <- my personal favorite ;)
    music man sterling/stingray
    active jazz bass
    gary willis fretless
    american deluxe P bass

all those would work great on any gig i need electric for (jazz and funk) but by "jazz" do you mean straightahead jazz big band/combo stuff or more fusiony stuff. if its straightahead stuff...i'd recommend checking out an upright, if you get a used one they're not terribly expensive.

also...i tend to think the bass has a lot less to do with having a good jazz or funk or whatever sound than the player does. i'm sure if you were good enough you could funk out with an ashbory :)

and about custom building a bass, that sounds pretty close to what i'm planning on doing this summer. i'd go with a gotoh #206 bridge, they seem to be pretty massive and have full adjustability AND neck through body stringing. the Jretro preamp SEEMED like a good idea for me, cos then you could just use a generic fender body...but then i remembered for neck LED's it requires another battery. oh well, i'm just gonna get a warmoth body with a back control cavity.

jason

11. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I would definantly say make your own. GO TO WARMOTH www.warmoth.com they know what they are doing. I love my fretless neck-got it from them. Also they sell this beautifull hunk of metal bridge (think its made my ghoto) they are the only people I know that sell it. sounds great for funk(cause there is so much metal) I would go with stacked humbucker J pickups, or a musicman/J combo (like a lakeland) BTW if you are using an old tube amp I sugest going with passive... my bassman doesnt like my active preamp

12. You should check out Mike Lull basses. They are essentially custom made beefed up fender style basses. They KILL the tone of new fender basses. You can get them with any of the options you mentioned. You can check them out at www.mikelull.com. I have one for sale here: www.kerlee.com/bass for $850 but it is not a fretless. With the options you are talking about, a new Mike Lull would be in the $1500-1800 range. Check out bassgear.com.

-Chris

13. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I dunno. I've only had mine for a few weeks, but its funk sound is very stilted and arhythmic, while its jazz sound just murders the changes.

Man, how much money do I gotta spend?

:D

14. bigsammy

bigsammy

Jan 29, 2001
    Moline, IL
    hmmm
    well, right now im stuck with a Warwick Corvette and about 100$ so if i can get rid of it, ill have hopefully about 700-800$.
    so that right there is my price range.
    my big deal is deciding whether to get frettless or fretted. i love the frettless sound but it seems like there are some places where it just isnt acceptable. i play upright so intonation isnt a problem unless i get into the upper registers.
    so what would be my best choice in the price range and should i get fretted or frettless?

oh yeah, and if any1 has anything theyd wanna trade me , let me know

sam

15. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    When I think funk - I think slapppp. Not that it's required, but it doesn't work with me on a fretless. Even alot of jazz doesn't take a fretless sound. Go for a standard fender jazz which you will use all the time.

16. jbass27

jbass27

May 4, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    My thoughts on this one would be a Modulus Genesis Jazz or VJ4, either one gives you a ton of options as far as electronics. Play great and sound great. Also, the carbon fiber neck is very stable. Also check out Ken Smith basses, although they are more expensive they are all very cool. Reverend might be a good choice as well. I prefer the Rumblefish XL or 5L.

17. bigsammy

bigsammy

Jan 29, 2001
    Moline, IL
    uh, so modulus and ken smiths run in the 700-800$ range now?! hehe
    c'mon people! i need help! help a brother in need!

18. jbass27

jbass27

May 4, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Sorry, I missed that part. Ok, check this out, Dean Edge 4 or 5 basses can easily be had for $300-$400, then all you have to do is play, hardware is good, electronics are decent. Figure on dropping $300 for the bass. If you want to upgrade, drop in some EMG's or duncan Basslines, maybe upgrade the tuners (I would be pretty happy with what come on there stock.) Even just stock they are a very good buy, and I highly recomend them.

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    :rolleyes:

20. bigsammy

bigsammy

Jan 29, 2001
    Moline, IL
    i know what your sayin Angus.
    i tell ya, bass players now-a-days