Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best jazz pickup optoins for Modulus VJ bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Yamarc, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I have a Modulus VJ4 that I absolutely love, it currently has a passive Bartolini jazz setup in it and I think I want to try something else.

I can get a new input jack drilled for the bottom so 3 or 4 hole setup is not a problem. But, what should I do? Active or passive? Preamp?

Which pups would you recommend to with the graphite neck? Villex, Lindy Fralins, Fender custom shop, Basslines?

I play many styles and this will my only electric bass so it needs to have a great, versatile tone that can sound modern AND traditional. Thanks

2. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'd put in a Bart NBTB preamp.

IMO Bart J's need an active circuit to really come to life.

3. SlimT

SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Hehehe!

So soon?!

Have you considered the J-Retro? You just swap out the control plate. I'm not positive, but I think the VJ control plate may be the same dimensions as a standard Fender control plate.

SlimT
    CyberbeansSlimT
    Tom

4. SlimT

SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    I've just spent some time reading about the Sadowsky outboard preamp:

http://www.sadowsky.com/pages/framesets/fs_preamp.html

I highly recommend downloading the testimonials PDF.

It's about the same price as the J retro, but you can use it on all of your basses.

An interesting quote from Marcus Miller regarding spending money on basses can be found here (he suggests that you spend the extra money and get a good preamp and recommends the Sadowsky):

http://www.marcusmiller.com/faq.html?category=2&faqid=32&color=12

hth

5. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Marcus actually uses the Bart pre that I mentioned.

6. SlimT

SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
  7. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I'd be interested to hear the results if you do swap the pickups. I've often thought about swapping out the barts in my passive VJ-4 - not that I don't like them, because they sound great, but I'm always tempted to tweak (must be something about this site :D ). I once had a parts jazz with some fralins, and I thought those were amazing pickups, so I've gone back and forth on throwing some of those in it.

At any rate, just curious if you've decided on anything.

Regards,
    Dave

8. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I've heard great comments on the Villex pickups that were factory installed on the VJ 4. They are still passive but have more output than other passive pickups and they also have a mid control which is unusual for passive.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Lindy Fralins for the old school.

Dimarzio Ultra Jazz for the new school.

Sadowsky preamp for no fuss, no muss shaping and boosting.

J-Retro for every option under the sun, especially for that cool midrange sweep knob.

10. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Yamarc,
    I sent you a detailed review via PM of what I thought of the Nordstrand NJ4SEs that came with Ookiedukes' Nordstrand NJ Deluxe 4-string that I shipped to him this morning. I think they might be perfect for your situation, but read the review and let me know what you think. ;)

11. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Well, I am going to trade a guy for some Fender classic 60''s reissues. I wonder how they will do, there will be hum! I will post my finding ASAP/ Marc

12. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    For the past few months I have had some Fender Classic 60's in my bass and they really sound nice. I even had a parallel/series option installed and I LOVE THE versatility and tone! The one thing that kills me is the hum! I like the single coil sound BUT not the hum!

I am a fan of a nice clean sound so I may try a pair of the Villex jazz next...I used to have a Villex MM and I loved it!

Anyone have any experience with the Villex jazz 4 set?

13. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Marc,

If you're interested in seeling the Bart set and they're #4 windings, I'm interested in buying them.

If they're #4's it should be written on the bottom of the Pu's.