1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Jazz Pickups for Reggae?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gatortail1, May 12, 2011.

1. Gatortail1

Gatortail1

Feb 5, 2011
    ANy thoughts?

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    yeah ... something quiet. After that - it's all amp ... My favorite J pickups are from Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe. His JBX-4 would side by side is spectctular. Quiet and plenty of the single coil punch and edge I want in a J.

For reggae, having your rig dialed is paramount though.

3. Gatortail1

Gatortail1

Feb 5, 2011
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm looking for a tone between David Hood and organ kick pedals. Really fundamental and beefy.

4. fenderlover77

fenderlover77

May 10, 2011
    I agree. It's all amp. You can get the sound with the right head. I do not have one but I've read the the G&K rb 700 II is a good solid state head. An all tube head will give you some good warmth that would help if you dial it in right. Roll off the tone control on your bass and eq the head correctly and you should be all set. Good luck!

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You will enjoy this I think. I wrote to david recently and asked what bass he used on I'll Take You There:

Seems like a real friendly guy! I'll Take You There was the first song I played in front of an audience while I was in middle school. :D

6. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I've met and talked with David some recently. He played at the (Nashville) Musician's Museum induction into their Hall of Fame (fall '09), prior to the flood. He was using a Lakland and told me it's mostly what he likes to use these days. He'd be the first to agree it's mostly in the fingers!

IME, A solid finger pad appproach to the "fat" part of the string (between the neck and the pickup), plus giving the neck pickup the "lead" over the bridge pickup (100% / 75%) are ways to get solid dub sounds from a jazz, along w/subtle left and right hand muting.

Oh yeah, and then there's the amp, too. :smug:

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    actually the best pickup in a J, for reggae just might be the split P ... I really do like the big P as my neck pickup these days. The other pickup that works well for me in a reggae setting is the Graphtech/Hipshot piezo setup on my Barker. That thing has a massive fundamental. It ain't cheap but it is very, very good. Mine is paired with an old Sadowsky split P which I dial in for more mids. That pair makes my Brio a monster ...

8. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    I have been experimenting ,I only play reggae more or less dimarzio model j neck pup in series sounds nice solo'd, and bridge series , neck parallel both on ,sounds good as well.

9. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Yeah.