1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best jazz pups for ska music?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jordan_frerichs, Oct 5, 2008.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    what are the best suited j set for 3rd wave ska music? like streetlight manifesto, the mighty mighty bosstones, big d and the kids table, stuff like that. also would it be best to pup the neck pup in standard location, or 70's/vintage position? (this is a project bass. have not jet routed for the jazz pickups) also the bass these are for has hollowed out wings and a wooden bridge, with metal saddles, a zero fret, and a nut of undecided material. how would you guess these elements would stack up?

2. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    If you are going passive then I would highly recommend the Dimarzio model Js. These pickups are nice and thick sounding. Just perfect for rockin ska and dub. Do the series/parallel wiring for maximum versatility. I have always played Jazz type basses with Standard pickup location and I feel this would serve you well. I am not familiar with the other things in your post. By the way saw Big D open for Rancid not too long ago. I enjoyed them tremendously.Good luck.

An old dude who was around for The Specials, Madness, The Selecter, Bad Manners ect.

3. Tony-bobs

Tony-bobs

Aug 19, 2008
    Spearfish, SD
    If you're wanting to play 3rd wave, you can pretty much look up any punk bass setup and go with that. I haven't actually used the sd quarter-pounders, but I hear they're good for punk, great attack thump. Your nut material will not make much difference except on open notes, but most, if not all, of the difference is in your head on that. Lots of people have had plastic nuts break, which can be a problem, but other than that it's up to how much you wanna spend on it. Really tho when it comes down to it, its more in you hand than the magnets and wire you threw in some wood. You can eq something decent, but if you can't play then the pups make no difference. Not to say you can't play, just emphasizing that more is needed than a name brand.

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Hmm, for 3rd wave ska I might try a set of Delanos, the ones with the huge pole pieces.

5. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    i was thimnking of those. how do they sound?

6. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    yo, although i dont play the listed bands i play a lot of slackers, hepcat, westboundtrain, pietasters type of stuff, which is more traditional SKA than those bands.

anyways i use two jazz basses, a older deluxe (active) mexican jazz and it has delanos with the pole pieces. I have a passive mexican with stock pups(2006 FSR ash wood edition) and regardless of the strings or anything, the older delano'd pickup bass had a thicker sound -- not sure whether to attribute it to the alder wood or active, but take it for what it is worth.

However recently my bridge pickup stopped working, so i gotta get some new ones or the delano repaired...I get a very Fat thumpy sound with flatwounds on that bass. I don't feel the strings are that even though, could be the fender flats. in comparison my passive with TI jazz flats is just all around sounding better, just lacking the 'output' and 'thickness' as the delano'd jazz..

7. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    thanx for the help. i tried getting geddy lee jazz pups on ebay, but lost. found a deal on a Quarter pound jazz set i couldn't refuse. both for $60. also, i think i will not do a wooden bridge for this. maybe a piezo. still looking into it.