1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Jazz Style Bass for Under $350?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MonsterBass101, Oct 30, 2010.

1. MonsterBass101

MonsterBass101

Mar 3, 2008
    SC
    Hey everybody! I am trying to find the general consensus about what the best Jazz Style bass is for under $350. By Jazz Style, I mean that it has to have the jazz shape, pickguard, pickups and control plate. Also I'm looking at new basses only. I will probably run some Chromes on this bass, and play worship music mainly. Thanks a ton!

2. ...So what can be different about it if you want the control plate, pickguard etc etc to be the same? If you want all of that stuff to be the same, just go and get a Squier...

3. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
  4. Squier, either Vintage Modified (the one I have with the natural finish, gorgeous bass) Jazz for $299 , Vintage Modified '77 Jazz, (the black one) also $299, or Classic Vibe Jazz for $349, all new. As with any bass, try before you buy if you can, but odds are good you will find one you'll like.

5. conqr

conqr

Feb 16, 2009
    +1

6. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    Why new? Buy a used MIM Jazz.

7. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    +1

... if you're not stuck on a brand spank'n new bass ... go for the early MIM's. Great basses! Some will even give the MIA's a run for their money.

I gotta admitt ... those 77's are pretty slick. However I've heard around that they don't have the same quality as the original VM line.

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I played a Squier Classic Vibe jazz the other day. I felt that it played better than the MIM Fenders they had sitting right next to it. I was seriously considering picking it up right then and there...I just wish they offered it in more colors.

The VM series is very nice as well...that was always my "cheap" recommendation. I'd be perfectly happy rocking one out any time. I really like the VM P bass as well...

9. I'd go with the Vintage '77 Jazz bass that Squier has.

10. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    +100! I'm in the process of putting together what should turn out to be a very nice Jazz bass and I considered scrapping the project and buying one of these instead. The one I played sounded great! The blocks in the neck are real inlays as well, unlike the black-blocked Squier Jazz (and the Fender Geddy Lee, from what I understand).

11. conqr

conqr

Feb 16, 2009
    I'm not certain - the 'blocks' are not just painted rectangles on the maple. They are carved rectangular indentations in the fingerboard wood which are black in color. Is that what makes an inlay an inlay?

12. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    On the Squier natural/maple vintage Jazz they are painted on the surface of the fretboard. On the newer Squier '77 they are actual blocks of pearloid inlayed into the fretboard.

13. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    The black blocked necks are painted.

The 77 squier reissue I played was ok. Weighed a ton though.

14. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Yup, that '77 is a bit of a beast.

15. That is %100 incorrect. The black blocks on the natural finish VM Jazz are real inlays. Confirmed by Fender consumer relations rep Jeff Krause in an e-mail rsponse to my e-mail asking that very question.

16. silvertones

silvertones

Apr 19, 2010
    SX

17. conqr

conqr

Feb 16, 2009
    Thanks for the confirmation. Not to belabor a minor point but I own one, and I know for a fact these are not just painted rectangles, I can clearly feel the distinct rectangular depressions in the fingerboard.

18. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    i would say Squier or MIM, used of course, you can find used squier for that amount with mod like pickups or preamps.

19. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That's the problem...my back can't take those heavy basses. I wish I liked Ibanez as they are often really light in general, where Squier is often heavy, in general.