Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Joe can find - The ODB-3!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Joe P, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Here's my story:

My ODB-3 was stolen from the stage last Saturday.

First of all, here's the first good-part of the story - the club-owner felt so bad about it, that he asked me how much it would cost to replace, and PAID FOR IT!! - unbelieveable, huh? What a guy - Games Tavern in West Bend, Wisconsin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Now for the more important and useful good-part of the story: Because of being forced to replace my 'aggressive-tone' (BEFORE this Saturday's gig! - I use my soft-OD sound in probably MORE than 2/3 of the show), I thought to myself "here's my opportunity to upgrade!". I tried a bunch of different pedals - Sansamp, Tonebone, Hueghs&whatever, Marshal... I dunno - a few others too. Some of these were like in the $200-range, but this bottled-up-under-pressure, harmonically-enriched tone has become an important part of my rock-sound, so it's OK if I have to spend more!

I walked-out with an ODB-3. I really, really dig what the ODB does for my sound and style!! I mean really - I could have chosen a number of ODs yesterday - several with real valves in them - but that ODB sound is my sound! I must admit that a couple of the others would have been in-the-running if they had a BLEND control, but without a little dry blended-in I'd loose too much clarity before I got the amount of harmonics I want.

The ODB has a nice, rich, even build up of harmonics as it approaches the more flat-top, 'buzz' sound, and once it begins to exeed this more-of-a 'true distortion' threshold, it has this great "QUACK" that I really like, AND even up at full-distorto-fuzz, harmonies and chords still sound musical.

The snooties can say what they want. The BOSS ODB-3 is the BEST bass overdrive that I can find!

Joe

2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    This just goes to show there is no "best" overdrive at all but it is a matter of taste, style and the type of music you play.

All I can say is use what you like as long as it works for you.

Ted

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm talking OVERDRIVE, mind you. When it comes to FUZZ, I'll be needing a Wooly Mammoth -- so.. I guess it's good I'm able to save a little $$ on the OD!

Whew! - three-hundred clams for that Mammoth O' Wool. Ouch. ..but nothing sounds like it; I guess he has us over-a-barrel on that one.

Joe

4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    you know this is actually really intersting to me, i recently tried to start a thread in this forum a few days ago about the a distinct difference i hear in tube OD's and solid state OD's.

personally i find that solid state ODs like boss and digitech pedals along with units like tube screamers and the sansamp give a more pronounced overdrive with the higher frequencies that give you some of that "buzz" even at lower volumes, whole tube ODs like my SWR IOD and mesa v-twin tend to be more touch sensitive, making it harder to maintain the same grind at both low and high volumes, and tend to only be heard in the mid range without that high end buzz.

i like both, which is why i intend on alywas having both tube OD and ss OD at my disposal because i can use both in different places and songs.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    So youuuuu have an Interstellar Overdrive, huh? I've heard so little about these, but they fascinate me because of the way SWR actually included an class-A/B stage WITH an output transformer, to really simulate an all-tube head!

Now when it comes to this 'touch sensitivity' that you talk about: I've much noticed this, and find it undesireable - I'd like my bass to sound more like an organ or synth, rather than a piano or (clean) guitar. That's why I use full-time compression whether or not I'm running OD or distortion.

I run pretty heavy compression now; this partly has to do with the fact that I'm running an under-powered rig AND an under-powered PA system, so I need to get all I can out of what's available to me now. Once I get a higher-powered rig with better dispersion (I intend on bi-amping, and running a PA horn for mids and highs for good sound-dispersion - then I'll be able to replace the PA for bass), I imagine I'll run less compression for my clean sound, but for OD, I'll probobly still run pretty squished. With hard compression (I use a Boss CS-3 first-thing in the chain, followed by the ODB, and then a CEB-3 chorus) I can dial-up just the sound I want with the drive control, and that's what I'll GET, note after note, for the duration of the note (as I said - rather organ or synth-like).

I never turn the blend control all the way to 'effect', and usually have it closer to the 'dry'-side than to an even blend. There's also another big part of my 'signature sound' - that being that I BOOST the treble on the compressor, and then 'de-emphasise' it back out with the ODB; this gives me nice, raucous finger and fret noise, while still reducing OD-buzz some (I usually dial the drive down to where there isn't really any buzz to speak of anyway). I also crank the high-mids on the 4-band EQ of my little Hartke 1400 head.

I should make a sample recording one of these days - I really like the sound I'm getting now!

Joe

6. I just have to say "good on ya Joe". It sounds like your open minded enough to try different things but true to yourself to pick the things you like. We need more of those.

I have the BOSS ME-50B and you've inspired me to mess around with the distortions and ODs on it.

Send some sound samples when you can and keep on playing.

Cheers,

Ben

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's cool to hear, mostly about the club owner. I wish more people were like that! I know I am!

I never enjoyed the ODB-3 until I got my passive P-bass. Now, I love it!