1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best kick mic???

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by DWBass, Oct 4, 2013.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Quick story.....old band....BL would use a kick drum mic on a short stand pointed inside the drum hole. But he would always ask the drummer to kick the snot outta his kick. I kept telling him, you have to eq it to get that nice thump. Asking the drummer to pound on his kick drum so hard, he's going to break the drum head! He just didn't get it. All through the gigs he would turn around and motion to the drummer to hit harder! :rollno:

What brand and model do you think is the best mic for kick drum?? And what is the best way to mic a kick drum? On a short stand pointed just inside the hole or laid down inside the kick drum.

2. I'm a big fan of AKGD112. As far as placement, I usually put the tip of the mic in the center of the hole, right at the plane of the drum head.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Also, I could never figure out how he would set up the PA. The way it looked to me was he was sending a powered signal to powered subs. It was just weird. He was always blowing speakers in his mains (way too much bass) and he blew one of the subs speakers.

4. I would check that before you buy anything.

5. dalahorse

dalahorse

Apr 14, 2010
    US-CO-Aurora
    I've had the best sound using AKG D-112 mics on my bass drums.

If the resonant drum head has a port hole, point the mic at the place where the beater impacts the batter head. Experiment with the position of the mic, moving it from a couple inches out of the drum to a few inches in. Depending on the drum's size, tuning, heads, etc., the sound may vary greatly. What I go for is a nice balance of impact click and low frequency boom that shakes the PA subs. Like chubfarm2001 said, the sweet spot is often right at the plane of the resonant head.

If the resonant drum head does not have a hole, get the mic and inch or two from the head and experiment with center to edge placement until you find the sweet spot.

6. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    I personally have a Carvin D44. I sounds good and does what I need. The band my wife and stepson are in that I do sound for, the drummer has the AKG D 112. I like the sound of it, but it feeds back at a lower point than my Carvin. The standard for kick is the Shure Beta 52a though. Placement- inside the hole of there is one, if no head I like the face of the mic to be a good 5-7 into the drum and a few inches off the bottom. Head with no hole I like it low about an inch off the head.

7. Hi.

I'm not.

Thanks to the pre-shaped frequency response, hard to EQ, to the point that with strips with limited EQ I won't be able to coaxe decent sound out of it. Plus it looks absolutely ridiculous ;).

Try a vintage D12 instead. NOT the "reissue" VR.
    More robust, almost flat freq. response.
    You can use it on anything, including vocals.

IMO only of course :).

Regards
    Sam

8. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    The Audix D6 is what I recommend the most. It sounds huge. Much better than the Beta52, IMO.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Thanks for all the recommendations!

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I used to work with a sound guy that had a little flat mic that sat inside of the kick drum. It was about twice the size of an Iphone. I don't know what it was exactly, but it had a mini XLR plug.

That thing sounded HUGE!

***EDIT***

Found it! Shure Beta 91.

11. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I have a Audix D6 that I use for our drummer. Another drummer I work with uses the Shure beta 91 and swears by it.

12. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I've used the Beta 52, the AKG D112 and the Sennheiser e902 and my preference was the Sennheiser (in all the years I'm sure there have been more but, those are the ones I remember).

If you're looking for more attack sound, get the mic further in the kick drum. I have a set of Pearl Master's Custom drums that I absolutely had to get the kick mic right up to the batter head to get a good sound out of; was too boomy otherwise. A sound man friend of mine will also use two mics on a kick drum - a normal kick type mic like above just outside the port on the resonant head for girth and an SM57 inside aimed at the batter head and beater for the attack "click". Always sounded really good to me.

13. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Harrisburg, PA
    I've used a D112, a Shure from a Kit (unsure what model - wasn't mine), and the Audix D6 before buying one for myself. I ended up with the D6. Had the best sound for the hard rock that I've played and recorded, brought out the punch from different sizes of drum without needing much EQ - has a natural thump and a more pronounced high end compared to some of the others. It's much smaller than the D112 as well, so I can sneak it into more places more easily.

14. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Audix D6 or Beta 91 are my favorites. Hate the AKG, I can live with and get good sounds out of most others. A D6 or Beta 52 is usually just inside the sound hole, pointed more/less toward the beater depending on how the drum is tuned or what sound the drummer/band is after. As always, EQ to taste from there.

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I think he used the AKG mic. But he just wan't getting enough from it or he just doesn't know what he's doing! Drummer was getting frustrated because he normally doesn't play so hard on the kick. It's not natural for him.

16. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    We used a D112 on our pre-studio demos, got a good sound from it. Also have an Audix D4 that I used for bass, basically the D6 without the aggressive EQ. When we did the studio, engineer used a D12VR on the kick and an actual old D12 on the bass cab. Did not care for the D12 on my bass, but the VR was nice, if hyped a bit. We're about to start doing some more demos, gonna try and use different mics this time around, mix it up a bit, maybe an LDC on the kick.

So much comes down to heads, tuning, the drummer, and the drum itself, you really need to have the sound you want BEFORE you point a mic at it.

17. ^^This^^

I pretty much stick with the Audix D4 or D6 nowadays, seem really easy to get good sounds, and they respond well to EQ, unlike the D112. I put that D4 inside, on a pillow, about 4 - 8 inches from the batter head. Then I weigh it down with something so it doesn't shift. Then I use a small 4 inch passive speaker about a foot out from the resonant head, and wired that into a mic preamp. I combine the 2 together in whatever fashion the song calls for. I can get anything from Tommy Lee rock drums, to techno compressed dance club kick using the combination and some EQ.

18. dalahorse

dalahorse

Apr 14, 2010
    US-CO-Aurora
    +1 to this!

All mics, preamps, etc. will add their own coloring to a point. But, ultimately, the mic is just making the bass drum sound like it already does - just louder. I personally like the scooped EQ from the D-112. In the end, just about any large diaphragm condenser mic will work well on a bass drum. A poorly tuned or played instrument will sound poor when amplified. A well tuned and played instrument should amplify pretty well no matter what mic you put in front of it (within reason).

19. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    A mic inside the drum is extreme as putting on inside a double bass
    given that, triggers are a great way to go. It can be the same drum recorded in a studio, just triggered live.

20. ddhm

ddhm

Mar 18, 2011
    Memphis Tn USA
    +1

They replace the combo of a B52 and an SM 91 imho. I bought a pair myself. It also largely depends on the genre and the kit. Beta 52, D112, D6, M88, RE-20, D12. There are tons of choices these days.