1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best kind of acoustic basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tom4123, Jun 28, 2012.

1. tom4123

tom4123

May 30, 2012
    I'm going to buy an acoustic bass and was just wondering what the best kinds are to look at ? Not too expensive around the 500 range

2. Warming up the popcorn kettle.

3. LeoSash

LeoSash

Feb 13, 2012
    300px-Bassdiagram. Well this is technically acoustic :D:bassist::bag:
    but in all seriousness i can only speak from experience in which i love my dean playmate, its 200 bucks, acoustic electric and it plays fine (though my action is high on it; Personal preference) If you're looking for a little pricier and not pluggable, the fender kingman is one of the best acoustic basses i've ever played (its 500 bucks though)

4. Deedubs

Deedubs

Mar 5, 2012
    what do you mean by not pluggable? if you mean that you cant plug it in, then you are misinformed.

5. LeoSash

LeoSash

Feb 13, 2012
    I know i had just checked after my post and saw the ones online acoustic electric but the one i tried out was strictly acoustic. Weird huh? :meh:

6. Deedubs

Deedubs

Mar 5, 2012
    that is strange.....but good to know.

7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    For an acoustic bass guitar I'd look for a used Tacoma or Olympia Thunderchief (no longer made) or an Epiphone El Capitan (also no longer made. Starting to see a pattern? Generally acoustic basses aren't practical, because in order to keep up volume wise with an acoustic guitar they'd have to be impractically large. Therefore not many companies make them because they don't sell very well.

Breedlove is making some nice ones, but they're a little out of your price range.

8. tom4123

tom4123

May 30, 2012
    There are none of those basses on eBay, I'll try other sites, and I see what you mean, I don't really know many stuff I could use an acoustic for but I'm really interested in collecting basses, I've got a Warwick rock bass and I just brought a fretless jazz bass, so now I'm looking for an acoustic bass then I might go for a 5 or 6 string see what I mean? And I'm not too sure whether to get a fretless acoustic or fretted, there doesn't seem to be many fretless acoustics around ?

9. tom4123

tom4123

May 30, 2012
    Dean playmate looks pretty cool I found a nice looking fretless one, but once again whether to go fretless or fretted and whether it's worth getting a dean playmate or going for something more expensive

10. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Those Deans are pretty awful. If you just want something to knock around on and acoustic volume isn't an issue Ibanez makes a couple of pretty nice looking ones. They sound and play pretty good, just not all that loud unplugged.

11. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    My Ibanez AEB8E is treating me well, and was very, very affordable.

12. Top_Ten

Top_Ten Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Check out the Ovation ABG I have in the classifieds right now.

13. redbean

redbean

Jul 12, 2011
    New Orleans
  14. tom4123

tom4123

May 30, 2012
    Thanks guys I now know a couple too look at and what not too look at, but now I'm having a major problem deciding whether a fretless acoustic or fretted acoustic is the way to go?

15. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    My first bass was an epiphone el capitan. Still play it at least once a week

16. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    A few contenders, just for fun:

f7b801ae1a.

pete1.

IMG_0207.

BanjoBass.

[​IMG]
    (tuned ADGC, so a fourth higher than a standard bass)

17. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    There was a Tacoma (not Olympia) Thunderchief 4 string on Nashville craigslist about 6 hours ago for $400.

18. If Iwere buying strictly an ABG for that money, I'd go with the Ibanez AEB10E or a Fender Kingman. However, I went a different route with the KALA Spruce top fretless for $450 ($415 when I bought it). I do not regret I did.

19. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    A used Breedlove would fit your budget and you'd have a nice ABG.

20. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    +1

About a year ago, I bought a used Breedlove for ~$400. It has an issue with the electronics that needs addressing, but it's a really nicely-built instrument.