1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best kind of rejection.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by xxfaux_punkxx, Apr 20, 2010.

1. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    So I had my second audition today. Didn't make it into the band because I wasn't expierenced enough, which is fine, but what was really good was that they liked my personality and want to keep jamming with me. Aside from that playing musicians FAAAR better then myself they were able to point out what I needed to work on to make it to the next step in my playing. So even though I didn't make it into the band I did (and still will since they want to jam with me again) get a lot from it.

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Nice! Sounds like they heard potential.

3. NickRich

NickRich

Oct 13, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    Bill Bruford was told the same thing before joining King Crimson (if I recall correctly).

4. ^^^This^^^

Plus, individuals experienced in playing in a band know that there's more involved than talent. Talent that might be lacking can be developed, especially in younger musicians. But attitude & personality mean a lot; they have to work with you (and you with them) in learning, rehearsing, possibly writing material. If they like what (who) they see, and are willing to work with you, kudos to them, and you have a great opportunity. Playing out, possibly recording is the goal, but honing your chops, your "look" and your image, within the band setting, is always great, even if they're taking the stage with someone else. It also might be possible that, although someone else impressed the rest of the band with his/her talent, other factors might create an opening for you, sometime in the future, to substitute, or even replace said member. So: GO FOR IT!!!

5. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    And your thread title is a good song title...

6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Best way to improve is to play with musicians that are better than you !

Sounds like you have a GREAT attitude, and that will get you far in life...both in music, and in "life in general".

7. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    +10000000000000000000000000000

8. Here's probably the most famous rejection of all:

"Sorry Mr. Epstein, guitar groups are on the way out..." ( or something to that effect) by Decca records.

9. jakelly

jakelly Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2009

LOL

I remember that one. That Decca dude could not have been described as visionary. Didn't some of the Beatles stuff come out on Decca however?

10. Yeah. But by then it was too late. Back to opera and classical music??

11. I just got passed over after an audition (guitar). But they kept me overtime about 20 minutes into the next candidate's slot, and asked me if I would be available to sub in the future.

All auditions should be approached as learning and networking opportunities, and if you were truly prepared to do your best, they should never be a disappointment regardless of the outcome.

12. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Their main concern was doing originals. If they were just going to be a cover band they would have let me stay on. However due to my lack of expierence (only been playing for a year) they didn't think I was ready to for originals.

13. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Props to them for treating you decently, and giving you some positive feedback on how to improve, even though you weren't right for their band. That's classy. It would be good form on your part to send them an email thanking them for their time and feebback. Keeping in contact with good players might prove to be very beneficial as your own skills improve.

14. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    oh I've already told them I'm always available to be a rodie(sp) if they ever need it and i still intend to Jam with them when I can.

15. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I would have said I am available in the future. I would have
    left the roadie offer out, you will have enough gear hauling
    to do on your own in the future, no need to volunteer to do
    theirs for free.

16. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    lol I only have my bass and my 15 watt practice amp. No real heavy gear worth hauling. Plus when you work in the band you get into shows for free which will ultimatly lead to meeting more musicians/bands around the area.

I worked security for a couple shows back in Texas. Free backstage passes, VIP entry, and drinks on occasion.

17. possibly your lack of gig ready gear influenced the decision to go with another guy......buy some good tools for your trade.....

18. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    My thoughts also, but it's great that they spent some time with you and gave you some props!

19. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Actually they had a pro PA system and a ready Bass Amp so having my own gear wasn't an issue, although I do need to get some gig ready gear for future refference.

20. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I'll go with that.

I also think it's a good estimate of the situation. If he keeps working with these guys, he'll eventually get a solid band out of it in some way.

It's all about personal relationships.