Best Laptop?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brendan, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, looks like I'm getting funds for a new computer, and I'm considering a nice laptop to replace my current desktop. I'm aiming laptop for portability and size (gonna be in college, and with my Rig of Doom, space will be tight). If I decide to fly desktop, it's Falcon Northwest all the way...

Now, given that my computer went ape dookie on me, and now I'm unable to transfer any files to a new one (don't ask), I'd have to start from scratch, so a Mac iBook isn't out of the question, but I do like my PC games...

So, for $1300, what would you reccomend?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well...this is slightly over your budget, but it would certainly be worth it.

12 inch Powerbook....if you are getting it for school(yes you are) then you should be able to get an edu discount and bring it down to a more affordable price.

I just used one of these the other day, it is sweet. The geforce 420 go, is a pretty decent graphics card, nothing hardcore, but it can hold up in UT2k3 and stuff.

24x cd burner/dvd drive.

867 mhz g4 processor.

not a bad machine at all...I would highly recommend it.

of course, the iBooks are fine machines too, their only detrimental feature I would say is the weak graphics card. but they are perfect for moderate computer usage.
  3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Search around, I wouldn't put my stock in any specific brand of OEM companies. I'd just look for features.

See what offers you the most, given your price limit. Also, consider what you'll use it for. If you intend to record, make sure it has a good soundcard, hard drive and a decent amount of RAM.

If you want to be gaming, you may want to make sure it has a good video card, fast RAM and at least 512MB of it; 1024 would be more future proof though.
  4. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Well, this too is a pinch over your budget, but with Toshiba's new model out, it ought to come down in price.

Toshiba 5205 S505

It is a GREAT machine. P4M 2.2 ghz, 512 megs of DDR 133mhz RAM, DVD/CDRW, great screen. One nifty feature: it has a remote control that controls Windows Media Player and other player applications. I have my whole media collection on it; great for lazy jukebox users! As for the PC games, it'll hold its own quite well. It too has the Nvidia GeForce Go card, and after running Unreal Tourney 2003 on it for a few hours I can say without a doubt this is a great gaming machine. I get great framerates at 1024x768 even with the details up.

PS: Though Mac users will tout their superior and more efficient processors, the brawn of the P4 will still outrun any G4 laptop anytime. (Note I say laptop... I know all about the dual 1.25 ghz monsters Mac has. Yes, those will eat the P4 alive, I'm well aware)
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    heh....yeah but do you know about the dual 2 ghz g5s? :p
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hrmn... well, specs are one thing, what about reliablity, durability? I'm not tech illiterate, but I would like as little trouble as possible.

I know Macs are super stable, thanks to a Linux based OS, but the lack of software scares me. Are the PC emulators stable enough that I could run one without any problems or hitches for long periods of gaming (or photoshoping, basically a high resource drain)?

PC wise... Dell laptops... yay? Nay?
  7. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Indeed... I've known about those for a while. One of my friends with a Mac was on the Mac website when apparently the specs of that new model were posted by mistake. They were gone within an hour or so. But now I see they have reared their ugly head again... :D I'd love to take one for a spin.

I looked at Dell laptops, but I ultimately decided they were too expensive for what you got.
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    First off OS X is UNIX based, not Linux based.

I have Virtual PC 6 for my 1ghz powerbook and it is very slow. It also does not support graphics acceleration, so playing PC games on a mac with a windows emulator is out of the question, unless there is a better emulator than Virtual PC. As much as I love macs and support them, if games are your thing then macs probably aren't for you.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Linux, Unix... they share 4 letters, sue me.

Games aren't that big of a deal, but I guess I would like the choices that PCs offer. And, really, when I get a jonesing for an RPG or some CTF, there's little to stop me, and a PC would make more sense in that respect.

So, PC laptops, eh?
  10. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    go with something along the lines of compaq, which is what I have, hp(same company), dell, or toshiba. They are all about the same price range, and same features. Reliability is a direct variable on how you take care of it, and the environment it is exposed to. If you are buying an apple, I would reccomend saving more money. They are some of the best machines out there, but their price does reflect that. Lack of software is a problem to. For graphics processing power, they are the best, and true computer horsepower, they rule the market. But if you are worried about compatibility, then go with a PC. Many have options of building a custom machine for you, so check that out. Either way, i would tell you to get about another 200-500 dollars and get a really good machine. I wish I would have done that.
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah, if you must play games, then you must get PC, as far as productivity apps, all the best ones are on mac as well as PC.
  12. I'd say go with Toshiba. We sold quite a few of them while I worked in a shop, and they never came back with hardware issues. IBM and Compaq on the other hand... Their harddrives and screens seem to break every now and then. But that was a couple of years ago, and such things change, so just read current reviews, and use common sense. Seems to work.