Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Larry Graham and Rocco albums?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by atunbridge, Sep 22, 2002.

1. atunbridge

atunbridge

Apr 23, 2002
    Devon UK
    I'm an upright bass player, trying to get some electric bass chops together. Can any of you recommend some good Larry Graham and Rocco (Tower of Power) albums for me to listen to?
    Thanks.

2. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    In my opinion the "must have" TOP albums are the 3 with Lenny Williams singing. Those would be "Tower of Power", "Back to Oakland", and "Urban Renewal". Rocco plays some scorching stuff on those albums. "Live & In Living Color" and "Soul Vaccination" are both excellent live albums, which were recorded 20 years apart from each other. Avoid the late 70's and 80's material at all costs, it's ass.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I generally agree with what Beermonkey said. The Lenny Williams period is my favorite. There are some moments on the later albums but I like the earlier ones the most. "Urban Renewal" and "Back to Oakland" are monsters.

As far as Graham, the early Graham Central Station albums are a must. "Graham Central Station" and "Release Yourself", then "Ain't No 'bout-A-Doubt It", "Mirror" and "Now Do U Wanna Dance".
    Also pick up Sly & the Family Stone's Greatest Hits.

4. My favorite TOP album is actually "Bump City," with songs like You've Got to Funkifize, What Happenen to the World, Down to the Night Club, and Skating on Thin Ice, although the albums already mentioned are great as well. Actually, if your buying a CD to hear Rocco play, they're all great. I've never heard a song that he's played on that didn't have a killer groove.;)

I'm not as familiar with Larry Graham, although I have two CDs he's played on- Graham Central Station, and Sly and the Family Stone's Anthology. They're both great CDs. .