Best Led Zeppelin Song: Early Days

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by menialtaskguapo, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You

4 vote(s)
  2. Dazed and Confused

4 vote(s)
  3. Communication Breakdown

0 vote(s)
  4. Whole Lotta Love

1 vote(s)
  5. Thank You

1 vote(s)
  6. Bring It On Home

2 vote(s)
  7. Immigrant Song

5 vote(s)
  8. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

0 vote(s)
  9. Black Dog

2 vote(s)
  10. Rock And Roll

1 vote(s)
  11. Stairway to Heaven (for those who hardly know who Led Zeppelin is :p)

2 vote(s)
  12. Other (please state in reply)

9 vote(s)
  1. Well, I bought The Song Remains the Same the other day, so I'm in a led frenzy again, so because i have no life, I am going to post popular songs from early days, then latter days, then im going to compare the two and figure out which zeppelin song is the most liked. Adieu.
  2. Hmm...I'm predicting the future....and I see a forecoming of thread movage to misc. :)

Why did you think this was OT????
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "The Ocean"! Feel free to close this thread now!
  4. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I said "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" but my absolute favorite Zeppelin song is their version of "Travelling Riverside Blues" from the BBC sessions.
  5. Actually, The Ocean is going to be in my latter day poll, this only covers their first 4 albums
  6. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    What Is And What Should Never Be.
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    3.) Tangerine
    2.) When The Levee Breaks
    1.) The Lemon Song
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, almost. song=recording, so we'll try there first :)
  9. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The best is one that's not listed... Bring it on home, on LedZep II. Always liked Gallow's Pole, too!
  10. dude, bring it on home is listed
    i voted for it
  11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Ramble On..

"But Gollum, and the EEEEEVILLLLL OOOOOONE crept up and slipped away with herrrrrRRR... HerrrrrrRRRRRR.. HerrrrRRRRR.. yeah....."

oops.. sorry :D
  12. deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    'trb' is pretty cool, but after decades of worship one wonders if it would have been as amazing to virgin ears. i like the other semi-missing tune found on disc one of the two-disc release after the four-disc compendium/crop circles thingie (the two discs were everything else), but can't remember the name (think its "we're gonna groove").

anyway, i have fond memories of a room full of drunk musicians (guitar players and drummers included) singing the entire bass line to the lemon song - out loud and note for note to the very end - because it had come on randomly. that's pretty awesome when people, even those other than bass heads, will memorize an entire walking line like that - shows how often folks listened to it.

having said that, the first song in the discography is actually the one that fills me with the most anthem-like reverence for the mighty zep - good times, bad times - not cause its the best, but because of what it renders in my head, as a work.
  13. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

tough choice here ... gotta agree with you on this one , great bass line , cool lyrics .
    { actually , i was just sitting at my desk listening to Led Zep II when i noticed this thread !! } ah well , back to work for me ...
  14. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    AH! Thx... That's 2 between us...
  15. trb??

We're Gonna Groove isn't a lost track, its on their Coda album (which is really strange bc they had been playing it for years before they released it)
    I looked it up and Baby Come On Home is the previously unreleased, I haven't heard it, and the comp i dwn load songs with is temporarily out of service ( :bawl: )
  16. yeah that song kicks ass, didn't include it bc i thought i was the only one that thought it did :smug:

does anybody else find it surprising that Stairway to Heaven isn't #1?
  17. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I dunno, maybe its just me, but isn't Stairway more of a cliche at this point??
  18. yeah true
  19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I was gonna vote for "Black Dog" like "Ramble On" & "What Is & What Should Never Be" showcase LZ as both 'acoustic' & Rockin'/heavy in ONE tune.
    "Ramble On" gets my vote!
  20. devain21to7

Jun 5, 2004
    My fav early days Zep song is the not so popular "Celebration Day" I just love Roberts chorus lines, its just great.