Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Light 5-String Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Apr 25, 2002.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    What's the lightest and best five string out there? I may need something light for aching back purposes.

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Rob Allen

3. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Pedulla Rapture = small & light; however, my dlx55 Lakland is just as light but the profile is larger.

4. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    Practically any Ibanez SoundGear will do. Though I never play it, I have a 645 as a back up for my MM SR5.

5. also, consider a Zon. My Sonus Lightwave weighs ~8 lbs.

Jeff

6. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    The MTD Heir or Kingston has a basswood body.

7. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Wow Jeff, I'm proud of my stable, but yours shows a lot of wise and thoughtful decision making. BTW, I hear Sukop makes a nice and light 5.

8. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Yeah I just checked out Jeff's basses too. Man you have some sweet basses.

9. one of the lightest bass I've played was warrior 5 with swamp ash and maple top.

It couldn't have been more than 7lb..
    sounded awesome.

10. Ok, guys! I´ve played on a Cort Curbow5 and loved the weight! It´s pretty light! I also loved the way it sounded, and it´s balance, so I bought a 4-string version of it! It´s a really fast machine!

11. Hi:
    I'll throw in my Dingwall Afterburner, it weighs in around 8lbs. Feels real light to me, and is very nicely balanced.
    frank

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Elrick basses are supposed to be so light it's scary. I have yet to try one, but everyone I've talked to who's played one has said they typically come in near 7 pounds for a 5 string.

I think that's as light as the Status Stealth, the all graphite model.

13. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Interesting; maybe this will put that heavy=tone issue to rest (but I doubt it). Personally, I am getting rid of anything North of 9 lbs. They say the legs are the first to go, but the back can't be far behind.

14. Only you can decide which bass is the best for you, but the lightest available might be a Basslab bass. I've heard that they weigh as little as 2-3 kg:s. Visit their site for details.

15. F bass BN5. I played one in LA that blew me away for its sound and how light weight it was. Also, the playability is unmatched in my opinion.

16. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Matt Pulcinella's are supposed to be very light.

Basslab claims a range of only 5.5 - 7 pounds!

17. will corroborate the MPulcinella 5 statement. I have one made of korina / mapel neck. very light - makes my frankenfender feel like an inquistion device to put on. e-mail matt for avg. weight of his basses. even more important - the are very well balanced.

tone is excellent too.

18. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The reason for the qualifier "best" is because the best tone seems to be found in the best woods, which are normally heavier. I had a Warwick and it must have weighed in at 13+ pounds. Then I had a Stingray, which was a heavyweight. I now have a Cirrus bubinga/walnut that has got to be over 10 lbs. I want the tones, but not the strain. My problem is more in my neck than the back. Hang a 13 lb. weight near my neck for 2+ hours and things start to go numb. I have a really nice strap, so I've got that base covered. So, if I need to correct the situation, I want to have as good a tone as the Cirrus, with less weight. I too have heard that Elricks are light. The one time I played one, I do recall that they were lighter.

19. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my buddy/student has an elrick, swamp ash body with wenge neck and board. has to weigh no more than 8 lbs. it seems like it should be an awesome bass, except he hasn't changed his strings in 4+ months and it sounds really dull and thuddy.

i think my SSII must weigh over 12 lbs. but i'm young, it's ok ;)

20. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've also played 2 Foderas, one 4 and the other a 5. When I picked up the 5, I was amazed as to how light that was.

Just another option...:D