1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"best" light and fast email reading program?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bongomania, Oct 5, 2010.

1. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have an old G4, and over time I got so annoyed by Mail and Entourage that I've just been using the Squirrelmail reader on my web host. Is there an OSX program you recommend that:
    --Has excellent spam handling
    --Is easy to configure
    --Is "light" i.e. loads fast and doesn't use much CPU
    --or is in any other way "best in class"?

I know there are loads of reader programs out there--the problem is that there are so many that Googling has not been a big help.
    Thanks very much!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Thunderbird works just fine.

3. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    +1

4. +1 again

5. I'll +1 Thunderbird also. I'll also add that, at least in my experience, the older versions are better and more streamlined. I do not like the newer versions at all.

6. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Thunderbird is a bit hard on the CPU, though. Especially if it's going to run on a PowerPC.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    For an old PowerMac, I suggest finding a historical copy of Eudora. There must be websites where archives are kept of early versions. Dang, if I could only remember the name of the slick e-mail program that I had for my Mac.

8. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah I downloaded TBird today, and already ran into a brick wall with it not working. I'm sure it's because of my antiquated machine though, not a knock on the program itself. Eudora, now that's an idea!