Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best "Light" Head with the Bergantino NV610?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Poon, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I used the search function and read about what others have been using generally for light weight heads for their Bergantino NV610. I've heard that the Thunderfunk TBF550 and the Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II are the two big ones that people have had really great responses with. I currently use the Iamp 800 as my default light weight rig, and while I think it sounds awesome, i do think there "could" be a better sound or better head for me. It could be the gas talking. For the type of music I play, (Rock & Pop of most varietys), I think that I could probably use a different sound than the Iamp800. The only thing I worry about is the amount of volume or headroom I can produce with the thunderfunk or ashdown. The Iamp seems matched perfectly in terms of wattage for the NV610.

What other options do I have that will be light weight and satisfy my needs?

edit: See Post #36 for an update.

2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Having owned the iAmp and TF which are both great heads, I highly recommend the MarkBass amps!

3. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I am currently torn between the TFB and Eden WT550. WT550 is 20 lbs (TFB is 15) but significally smaller. Those who have played them both say that they sound similar, but the Eden sounds just a bit warmer as it has a tube preamp.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Really depends on the tone you are trying for. As the Bergi cab is very warm by itself, I would pair it with something aggressive. A GK 1001 would do the trick for me. YMMV

I run Bag End 2x10's with mine. The BE cab's are quite warm and they don't need the extra warm sound of the Eden or the Ashdown to get a nice round sound. The sub-octave on the Ashdown is cool, but that isn't exactly a lightweight head.

The iamp 800, while a fantasitcally clear amp is very hifi. I would find that to be an odd pair with the 610. Seems like those products are headed in different directions but again YMMV.

What would be a killer - Passinwind's new Pre and RMX850 and the NV 610 ... Kind of like Showman on steroids ...

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    There are lots of good choices out there, but the first thing that I would do is spend some time really exploring the EQ possibilities of the iAMP 800. It can yield a pretty wide variety of useable tones.

I know that it's kind of bizarre for me to be telling someone not to buy something new, but every now and then, I take a more conservative route. :smug:

If you were going to pick up a different head to compliment the iAMP 800, I would actually suggest going for an all-tube head, but that sort of flies against your idea of going light weight.

Tom.

6. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...I don't get this at ALL...IF you're willing to lug around a 6x10 what the hell does the weight of a head have to do with it...gimme' a break...???...

~S~

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...use what sounds best to "you"...THE end...

~S~

8. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    yeah, they sound really great with warmer natured cabs don't they? i have mine running a labsystems (good aussie brand) 1x15 with no horn, but the bright and aggressive nature of the 1001 really compliments the warm nature of the cab quite well. tonnes of bottom end when you dial in the bass aswell.

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The best match I've heard with the NV610 that wasn't all tube was an Ashdown amp. The EVO500II would be a perfect match. It gets really loud with the NV cabs as well. The amp will give you a huge sound that's warm yet very responsive. The "grind" knob on the amp will give you a sound similar to the tube grind from an all tube amp if you want that. If you're able to get a hold of an Ashdown EVO amp than by all means do it. You'll be knocked out I'm sure.

I personally can't imagine the iAMP matching well with the NV series cabs.

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I tried a GK 1001II with my HT112 once. It sounded like a**. That amp is definately better suited to warmer cabs.

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...maybe I'll use a Walter Woods to power an SVT 8x10...LMAO...

~S~

PS: Honestly, what are you looking for, sound or weight?...

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

hmm...

so i guess you're looking for a rounder, more woolier, fatter kinda tone? judging purely from your avatar, seems like you're going for that dubby, fat, thick tone that pino gets w/ the JM dooder.

honestly, i happen to think the iAMP + Berg sound is TO DIE FOR, but me thinks the Eden WT1205 or WT800B might be up your alley. nice woolly, rich fatness. kinda like the ashdown ABM sound but taken to a more woolier, furrier, tubier sound.

the TFB is a great amp, and turning the timbre knob gives you a nice warm fatness, but honestly, no matter how you shape its sound, and despite that warmth, it still leans IMHO more towards the iAMP's SS like hifi clarity, punch and responsive cat like reflexes.

also, keep in mind, you'll want an amp that's rated a bit higher than the cab. if you push your amp really hard trying to get more volume, you run the risk of sending its solid state power section into overdrive, which'll ruin your speakers. its better to have lots of power on tap, so you're amp doesnt work so hard, and not sputter out those dangerous square waves into your poor speakers.

bottom line, your speakers have a better chance from being ruined by the square waves of a struggling and underpowered power section, than being sent too much juice from an overly powerful power section that might cause the "over-excursion" of your speaker cones.

13. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    The NV610 is really lite in comparison to my other cabs. Although it is 98lbs, so is one of my Aguilar GS410's. It's actually quite a bit easier to move around. Aside from the Iamp, I use a 16 space anvil case to store my stuff in, which has all the heavy gear in it. Until I get roadies, I'll be thinking less weight is great.

Tom, coming from a person that has tried several of these amps, that really means a lot. I mean, I can get the iamp to have a decently convincing tube tone, with the "Fat Tube" setting, but I can still hear so much of that clarity and I don't think the Iamp really gets all that "dirty". Any suggestions on EQ settings would be appreciated, if you want to point me in the right direction.

14. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've heard that the Iamp matches to the HT series a lot better than the NV series. It seems like they would be aimed more in that direction.

I've really grown fondly of the clarity of the Iamp and in the past I've actually stayed away from wooliness. For example, I didn't like the Aggie DB659, but loved the DB680. So I don't know. Maybe I'm just looking for something different than the family of amps I have now.
    :confused:

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if that's the case, i say try the Eden's or ashdown. IMHO, they're as far from the iAMP's as i can think of, yet as complementary to the berg sound as i've heard.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    LMAOs notwithstanding, it'd be worth trying a WW Ultra.

17. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Another vote for the Ashdown.. I use the EVO 500RC-II into the HT-210S and HT-112S.. And don't worry about headroom, theres plenty... :hyper: The tube grind control is a nice feature, I use it to add alittle grunt when needed.. I also would love to try this head with one of the NV series cabs, either the 215 or 425...

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    As Poon already mentioned, the iAMP is much better matched with the HT series cabs. The NV cabs are a completely different ball game, which brings me to my next point....

Because the NV cabs are sealed cabinets they are much more efficient than the HT series. They can take very little wattage and spit it out like a champ. My friend Corey, who is a Berg dealer and a good friend of Jim's, he uses an old Musicman amp that gives out something like 100 watts. It's all tube (and there's no validity to tube watts being more than solidstate watts. Watts is watts). Anyhow, that little Musicman amp is LOUD and it spits out plenty of volume and dynamics through the NV610. Sealed cabinets are a different ballgame from ported cabs all together.

19. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Erm...I'm afraid your specifics might be off. A sealed cabinet is never louder than a ported cabinet because it is sealed. More accurately, sealed cabs that are loud are loud because their manufacturers chose efficient speakers with low EBP and high QTS. They use these more efficient speakers because these cabs are usually paired with lower wattage tube heads and wouldn't get loud otherwise. Additionally, if a cab is to be louder based solely on the criterion of sealed or ported, the vast majority of ported cabinets are going to be louder. Whereas sealed cabinets produce sound solely from vibration of the air in front of the drivers, ported cabs produce sound from the vibration of the air in front of the drivers PLUS the movement of the column of air as dictated by the cabinet volume and port dimensions. (otherwise known as a helmholz resonator)

20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oh, cool K Dubbs. Thanks for the info.

In that case, the NV series cabs are much more efficient than the HT cabs by design. Lower wattage amps are no problem with the NV's.