Best lightweight 1U power amp to pair with Sansamp Para Driver DI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockin Mike, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    I want to get the same sound coming from my bass rig as from the PA. To that end, I'm using these for tone shaping:
    - EMG pickups and preamp in the bass
    - Sansamp Para Driver DI for SVT-like tone
    XLR out of the Sansamp to the board, and to the PA mains.

I want to take an aux signal off the board to {need a recommendation for this power amp}
    and then to the bass cab, which is serving as a stage monitor.
    The board is a QSC Touchmix 16, digital board with compression, EQ, effects available.
    Lightweight is a huge plus, as is the ability to fit in 1 rack space.

FWIW, the sound I'm going for is that kind of crunchy rock sound described in a recent article as "that Mid-70s P-bass through cranked SVT sound" a la Kansas.

Thanks for recommendations

2. If you want a 1U Amp, I'd recommend a GK MB800 & just run the para driver 1/4 out into the effects return of the amp. No need to bring an aux send back from the desk to drive the power amp. The para driver can drive a Power Amp no problem. Use the line setting for the 1/4 out.

I have driven a Power Amp with a RPM (Rack version of the Para Driver) and also a VT Bass deluxe.

The other option is to run the para driver into a powered wedge as your stage monitor. This is more likely to mimic what is coming out of the FOH.

babaseen likes this.
  3. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    I just used one of these this weekend. $90 + shipping. Has plenty of power in bridged mode:

300-Watt (150w RMS x2) Studio Audio Amplifier - Monoprice.com

You could also run out of the 1/4 out of the pedal to the amp. The GK is a good suggestion, but if if cost is an issue, the MB 500 should be sufficient.

If you really want to run out of the board and sound like FOH, a powered monitor is a good suggestion too.

babaseen likes this.
  4. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Barrackville WV
    There is not much to choose from in a 1 rack space amp. For several years I used a single rack EV Dynacord. I bridged it into a Hartke 4.5XL. I did have to install a small computer fan in the rack as the thing got really hot. Also it was limited to 8 or 16 ohms in bridge mode. It finally crapped out so I replaced it with a QSC-PLX1202. To be honest, if you can stretch things to 2 rack spaces for the power amp, you'll have a lot more choices as 2 space is pretty much the standard these days.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022