1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best lightweight 1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brianh, Oct 11, 2013.

1. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    Hi guys-

I'm looking for a new lightweight 1x12 cabinet...
    It's been 4-5 years since I've looked at speaker cabinets, and I'm a bit out of touch with what's out there.

For the past 5 years I've used a Schroeder 1x12 - which has been the perfect size/weight but it now nearing the end of its life span from many years of heavy use. It's a great cab and I'm considering another but it's a bit midrangy for me taste.

Just curious what guys are using and what comparisons they are. I'm in need of something powerful and compact...any opinions on what might be worth looking into?

2. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

Why not just replace the speaker, and keep the cab?

3. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    Am considering that, as well as other options. Ill probably replace it and keep it as backup regardless of a new cab

4. Well I wouldn't call it the "best" 112 or even a 112 at all but perhaps the Xsonics 212CF might be of interest to you.

It has plenty of low end and is about the size and weight of a regular 112. I've done some sound samples with them somewhere here. You can search my user name an Xsonics in google to get them.

I've been happily gigging mine on weekends for over a year now. Amazing cab and Nick is a great guy to deal with.

5. Duke at Audiokinesis makes some mighty fine lightweight cabs in many flavored depending on your tone goals.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've used Gallien, Baer, Audiokinesis and fEARful products and been happy with them all.

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    EA Wizzy M-line 12

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Lots of flavor of "good" but when you say "powerful" I'm assuming you want high output and strong fundamental.

The ones Chef mentioned come to mind. Have yet to try a Baer ML112 or Fearful 12/6 but I hear those are prettystupendously awesome filled.

9. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I'm sure there are cabs that are more highly regarded but I think my Aguilar SL112 cabs are great. If I were going to try something different, I'd take a serious look at the Bergantino CN112 cabs.

10. DC3

DC3 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Atlanta
    Schroeder's new 12P kicks ass! Great sound, Lots of bottom, 600 watts, and Light Weight