Best LIGHTWEIGHT Amp/Cab: I am injured and looking for a light rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ethan93, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Ethan93

Ethan93

Nov 30, 2017
    I got a hernia while moving furniture (I’m only 24 ) and I am going to sell off my GK 2001 RB so that I can purchase something lighter. I shouldn’t be lifting more than 30 pounds but I play gigs in pretty large venues, so I need something that still packs a punch.

Haven’t decided whether to sell my 60 lb. GK neo 4x10 cabinet as well. Cab advice would be helpful too!

Before replying with the classic, “Well, there is no best amp...” please just throw me some ideas on which light amps have worked for you and why you like them.

I’m very sad to have to get rid of such a great amp, but I’m looking forward to trying something new out and will most likely use it as an excuse to change up my sound a bit.

DrayMiles, zon6c-f and RubyTuba like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Get two single 12" cabs and stack them - many available at 30 lbs or under and two can get stoopid loud.

Sav'nBass, lomo, MordBass and 26 others like this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Have you had surgery yet?

IME, Make sure they put in mesh. If they don't you'll mist likely get another hernia in the future.

What's your rig budget?

Why would you sell your amp and not your cab?

Blankandson likes this.
  5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    +1 for the Acoustic Image stuff, I have been using one of their Focus heads for ~10 years and am continually impressed with how good it sounds, and how well it performs considering it's the size & weight of a hotel bible.

And when I want a ridiculously lightweight rig I combine that head with Flite Sound speaker cabinets. I've actually walked to gigs carrying those in my hand. For over a mile. Seriously. Not recommended...but do-able.
    (otoh, Flite Sound's business practices can sometimes come across as suspect, as you'll discover if you do a TB search on that brand, so buyer beware. But I've been very happy with the two Flite cabs I own and never had a problem with the company.)

zon6c-f and Ethan93 like this.
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Mesa 800+
    2 or 3 Revsound 1x12 ultralights, 22lbs ea.
    Rolling cart

7. Ethan93

Ethan93

Nov 30, 2017
    Good call! Still need to consult the doctor. I'm considering selling them both to find more lightweight alternatives, but the head is actually heavier and more awkward than the cabinet. I like the idea of running things through two smaller cabinets, but the neo 410 I have is about as light as a 410 gets and it sounds so great, I hate the thought of getting rid of it. Meanwhile, I've played through GK heads for years and would like to switch it up. That is, until I looked at their MB Fusion head ! ! !

Stumbo likes this.
  8. Ethan93

Ethan93

Nov 30, 2017
    Been looking at the Mesas. They're pretty awesome. Never heard of RevSound. What makes you recommend them?

9. Ethan93

Ethan93

Nov 30, 2017
    I should have mentioned this already, but I'm playing electric, so I want something a bit brighter. Looks like that is specifically built for standup, is that right?

10. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I live a town or two from Flite - don't do it! :rollno:
    Revsound cabs are super lightweight and well built - plus Dave's a great guy :) . That's what I ended up with.

Buzz E, howlin, gypsyfelon and 2 others like this.
  11. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Official Revsound Bass Cab Club

marcwhy likes this.
  12. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    Barefaced cab with a GK MB series head (500/800/Fusion)?

tekhedd, Waltsdog and arca_tern like this.
  13. mikewalker

mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    One word for ya : ROADIE

Remember the sage words of John Entwistle : "On our first date I was already playing in an amateur group and Alison carried my amplifier"

14. micgtr71

micgtr71

Dec 4, 2012
    I use a gkmb500 and two Phil Jones compact fours. Whole thing weighs less than 65 pounds and it’s 3pieces

KDK, Operation Ivy and EatS1stBassist like this.
  15. It's hard to imagine the head being heavier than the cab.

There are lots of class D options out there
    and 112 neo cabs that can get the job done.
    Bear in mind that the general cab options will be cheap, light and good...
    but you can only have two of those.

+6dB Dan, Loring and PastorZ like this.
  16. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    +1 on the 2x12’s... take ur pick from many choices. I had hernia surgery (+ a repair) about 10 years ago (was 45 yo then). I went with a Markbass CMD121P combo & NY121 cab... both 12” (amp pushes 500watt w/ext. cab) at about 29lbs each. There are many others, more favored, on TB- this is just one option.

E98799CA-A75F-4B8C-8743-AA7AADD86B9D.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    lomo, k.graz, RubyTuba and 5 others like this.
  17. Lovep

Lovep

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Aguilar SL112 x2 or the SL212
    Aguilar TH500

Provides you with a modular rig that should pack a good punch!

srcTW, Rebel Rocker, +6dB Dan and 7 others like this.
  18. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    From what I read, the AudioKinesis Hathor and Thunderchild cabs get lots of respect on here.

19. PastorZ

PastorZ

Jan 17, 2018
    St. Marys, Ga
    Hello All! I'm new on T.B. but have been playing for better than 20 years. Over that time I have owned (and still do own) a lot of gear. I agree with what a few others have stated; find a couple of quality, single 12" cabs and a light weight head, you and your injury will be happy that you did!

20. What sort of car do you drive? Is it a wagon of some sort?

My easiest to handle cab is my Fender 610 Neo, I swear it's lighter than my tube head. It's tilt and roll, so I never have to actually lift it. I lean it on the back of the car and slide it in.

As for the head, I'm a big fan of the Quilter BB800 with this cab. Heaps of volume and sounds great!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022