1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best lightweight poweramp under 400 EUR (or USD)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dezspet, Jan 5, 2012.

1. dezspet

dezspet

Mar 21, 2007
    Hungary
    Guys,
    I am having an Ampeg pre (SVTII-P) for a long time and now I am about to use it. All I need is a good poweramp.
    I am using now a Markbass TA 503 head and I love its speed, dynamism, headroom.
    So if I buy a poweramp I want all these in one package: lightweight, loud enough (I play in Clubs mainly, so I rarely use more than 200-300 watts), fast response and dynamism.
    So which one should I prefer? Crown XLS, or even the new Behringers are good enough? Peavey? Or shall I buy a bass specific poweramp?
    I do not want to spend a lot, actually I have decided to keep it under 400 EUR or less.
    Please give me your thoughts!
    Thanks,
    Peter

2. G&K MB200

3. Goteky45

Goteky45

Oct 30, 2009
    Portugal
    check out carvin's poweramps. cheap, light and pack a lot of power.

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Dezspet,
    If there available in Hungary I'd audition a SWR Amplite.
    It fits your price range, weighs 3 lbs, and puts out 400 watts RMS at 4 0hms..

Ric

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
  6. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    For all of our American friends here, there are numerous possibilities for a reliable and lightweight poweramp in the 400 € range.
    For European people, swr, carvin are way out of budget. Behringer and Thomann/tAmp/Harley Benton are lacking of reliability.

The best product for your need is actually the Crown DriveCore XLS.

Poweramps are design for PA, not that is an issue for bass playing but many poweramps have way too much power for bass playing (+ 1000watts). It will not be a problem for your tones to play at 1/10 or only one side of the amp.

7. I've heard/read horror stories about Behringer products in general, so I agree. But, could you please give evidence of Harley Benton lack of reliability? I've only read good about them...

8. dezspet

dezspet

Mar 21, 2007
    Hungary
    Is your Peavey loud enough for clubs and medium gigs? Seems to be a very good deal for the money!

9. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Harley Benton products are made in China under German control quality, for Thomann shop. It's policy is "lowest price for standart quality". It seems true these last months, but it can't keep up with the quality of 'professional designed products' made by Crown.

10. ...and this is true and reasonable. It's the "lack of reliability" part of your assessment that seems not matching with the Harley Benton; I ask again: can you give evidence of that? Otherwise (mvho!) maybe you should be fair and take it back, because there is no evidence. Just to give you an example about how good these products are and how serious the people at Thomann are:

BETA AIVIN BT500 H - #1905781 | su MercatinoMusicale.com in Amplificatori - Testata / Cassa

HARLEY BENTON BA500H - Thomann Cyberstore Italiano

Remember what the OP said:

is that enough? ;)

11. I have the IPR1600 that Burning Skies mentions, it will drive 320W into 1 X 8 ohms or 1050W into 8 ohms bridged, 1600W bridged into 4 ohms (IIRC).

As to how loud it will be will depend on the sensitivity of your cab/s, mine has been loud enough (one side so 320W max) into a fEARful 15/6 for the indoor gigs (medium sized) I have done with no PA support. For outdoor gigs I will bridge it but as yet no need.

Rated Power (2 x 2 ohms) - 800 watts per channel @ 1 kHz at <0.1% T.H.D. both channels driven.
    Rated Power (2 x 4 ohms) - 530 watts per channel @ 1 kHz at <0.1% T.H.D. both channels driven.
    Rated Power (2 x 8 ohms) - 300 watts per channel @ 1 kHz at <0.1% T.H.D. both channels driven.
    Rated Power (1 x 2 ohms) - 1000 watts @ 1 kHz at <0.1% T.H.D.
    Rated Power (1 x 4 ohms) - 600 watts @ 1 kHz at <0.1% T.H.D.
    Rated Power (1 x 8 ohms) - 320 watts @ 1 kHz at <0.1% T.H.D.
    Minimum Load Impedance - 2 ohms
    Maximum RMS Voltage Swing - 55 volts

12. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I looked at the Peavey IPR range but I saw quite a few posts on various sites that echoed the following comment on the Peavey forum itself.

"Called Peavey and the 8ohm rating is 300 4ohm 530 and
    800 2ohm, not recomended at all for bridge"

I also downloaded the user manual and looked right through it to see if it was safe to run in bridge mode, but bridged mode was not specifically stated as an option.

Life is too short for such ambiguity so I went with the Crown XLS100 where there was no such uncertainty - it was only a few pounds more than the Peavey and more than worth the time I saved running around trying to analyse Peavey's tech data.

The Crown is great, I run it bridged into an 8 Ohm Barefaced Big One (similar to fEarful 15/6) and it does exactly "what it says on the tin"...big, clean power with loads of headroom

You'll easily pick one up for 400 Euro

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've been bridging my IPR3K off and on for about 8 months now. The details on how to bridge, and the fact that it could be done safely...came directly from people in Peavey's engineering staff. I also know there are folks bridging the 1600 in the same way without a problem.

14. When I was looking at amps I Googled it and found the Peavey Forum with a Peavey guy explaining how to do it in 2 minutes.

15. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Sure. And you didn't have to even go that far. They've explained it right here in the TB amps forum a few times.

16. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I always research stuff that I am buying thoroughly.

I searched on here, I googled "Peavey IPR Bridge mode" and also looked right through the Peavey user manual without finding an unequivocal answer.

Maybe the TB or Google search I entered didn't throw up the same threads or search results that you guys found in an instant...maybe I didn't research it hard enough, but I shouldn't have to, it's not my job to clarify Peavey's ambiguous specifications for them, especially when their competitors make it easy.

17. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
  18. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    The SWR Amplite Is ridiculously priced, for the same price you get. GK MB500 and is 100W more.

19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/peavey-ipr-1600-internal-photos-617982/index3.html#post8569414

Aaaaand the cable I use for bridging:

[​IMG]