1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best lightweight powerful amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SeanOnBass, Jun 13, 2007.

1. SeanOnBass

SeanOnBass

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, Bartolini, Genzler Amplification, GHS, Tsunami Cables, Sonic Nuance
    So, I have used many an amp, and currently have a GK 1001RBII, which is a pretty damn good amp, and really I'm pretty happy with it. However, I'm no longer using GK cabs, so the whole design point of the dual amplifiers for horn/woofer doesn't really apply anymore, and I found wasn't all that useful when I did use it, as you had to get the mixture of the two just right for any volume you wanted to play at, and was akin to tweaking high eq rather than just being overall volume.

But I digress. My point was, I have several critria for a new amp, and I thought I'd poll the collective consciousness and see what you guys thought. I'm looking for an amp to replace this one that has all of the following features:

Same or lighter weight - that means 18lbs or less, I think.

Since wattage can be misleading, comparable power and volume.

At least as many EQ options, but preferably more (the GK's main parametric controls are low, low mid, high mid, and treble, but not with assignable freq. centers)

2 ohm stable. Might as well now, no sense in upgrading and not getting this feature at this point. I'd like to combine impedances below 4 ohms if I could.

That's pretty much it. Any suggestions folks? Thanks!

2. Bryan316

Bryan316 Inactive

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Eden WT550B gets 750 watts at 2-ohms

Ampeg SVT-6PRO gets 1100 watts at 4-ohms, but it can't drop to 2 ohms

SWR WorkingPro 700 gets 700 watts at 4-ohms, no 2-ohm capacity.

3. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Run a T-Funk at 2.67 w/ the fan on...

4. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    Peavey DPC1400 + pre-amp of your choice :bassist:

5. I'm looking for something like that to replace my Kustom as well, Got myself a Markbass SA450, but the sound wasnt me, and it couldt go to 2 ohms. Looking for an Eden Wt550 myself. That looks like the only solution. Carvin b800 is not quite 18lb but seems like a contender.

6. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    MarkBass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

7. Markbass doesnt do 2 ohms.

8. SeanOnBass

SeanOnBass

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, Bartolini, Genzler Amplification, GHS, Tsunami Cables, Sonic Nuance
    Alright, I just checked the GK site, and it says the 1001RBII is 22 lbs (although I swear I read 18 somewhere - maybe in the manual), so we can raise the weight limit requirement to 22 lbs :)

9. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    thunderfunk

10. alembic5

alembic5

Dec 5, 2004
    Seattle, Wa.
    Perhaps a Mesa Mpulse 600or one of the Genz-Benz heads. Pretty full featured for the money.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021