Best lightweight standalone cab $600-$700

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blues Bass 2, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Right now my rig sounds great,a couple 112 Avatars and an Eden 210XLT powered with a Crown CE 1000 with an RBI preamp.The Eden sounds great but at 68lbs. it's kind of heavy to haul to gigs for a cabinet that isn't really a stand alone.I'm thinking of selling my my Eden and one of my basses and getting one cabinet that will do the b-string justice and still not kill my back. The cabs I'm looking at now are the Acme B4.Epifani 310(used),Aguilar 212 and the new Genz Benz 212 NEO. I play mostly trad.blues but we get into heavier blues too and I really need something that will get loud and low.Any suggestions would be welcome.
  2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I would personally go with Epifani. Surely others...will choose others. :)
  3. I was in a similar situation with my last project. I needed a single box to cover a pretty wide variety of genres, rooms, etc... that wasn't going to kill my back or my wallet. I went with the Acme Low B-4. I can get any sound out of it I want and for the price I couldn't find anything better new. I'm really happy with this cab. There's my $0.02!
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Epi - UL if you can find one.
  5. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
  6. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Try Dr. Bass cabs.Marc Serio has some Neo's , but he has small lightweight cabinets that are really loud and really low, and they won't kill you in price either.
  7. dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    The Acme low B-4 is a very versatile speaker and your CE 1000 should power it very nicely in bridged mono mode.

Another alternative worth thinking about would be 2 Acme Low B-2s. That is an incredibly versatile setup - you'll be surprised at how good the bottom end is on a single B2 - ideal for smaller (up to, say, 150 people) / quieter gigs - and only about 50lbs. For bigger gigs take both.

And, as they're full range speakers, in a pinch you can use them as a mini PA.

Depending on your volume levels, the CE1000 might not have enough oomph for 2 B2s - but a CE2000 would be fine.
  8. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Running both 112 Avatars isn't the same as running a standalone Aguilar 212? I'm confused as to why you wouldn't just take the Avatars out...

EDIT: Seems to me the 2x12s you mention would weigh just as much as your Eden cab anyhow.

9. You should also try the Euphonic CXL series. For up to medium gigs (rock/blues) I use one, for bigger up to outdoor venues 2 CXL give me a bigger volume than an ampeg 8x10 pluse a lot cleaner sound. :D
  10. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I'm in a similar predicament as well. Right now I've narrowed it down to either an Accugroove Tri 210, or an Epifani 210UL. I like the Epifani UL for it's super light weight ( 44lbs ) but it's not as hi-fi as it's 54lb. non ultralight brother, which is more or less the same weight as the AG cab. Although I'm sure either could work for you or me, I'm a bit more in favor of the AG right now for it's 3 way system.

I originally played an Acme B-2, but believe me... it will NOT cut it in a loud mix. Even at band practices I was struggling; I either had a rich, full lowend and not quite enough volume, or I had just enough volume with a very poor sounding lowend. While 2 Low B-2s would give an awesome sound for band practice, they won't cut it at a live show with high volumes. That's why I'm going for the AG cabs... more or less as hi-fi, but the SPL differences are huge... 93dB vs. 103dB. 2 Low B-2s will certainly work for you, but they'll never be as loud as an Epi, Berg, AG, EA, etc.
  11. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I second the EA Cxl 112 recomendation. Sounds great in even the most difficult rooms and its very loud for its size.
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ditto on the EA gear. The NL-210 is also a lightweight powerhouse. Accugroove is using neo drivers as well, and a Tri 210L would probably do the trick. But both of these cabs may be out of your price range, new. You can definitely get a used CxL-112 in that range, though.

Of the cabs you have listed, for the style of music you are playing, the Epi T-310 would be my pick. Though please note, I am not implying that the T-310 would sound like EA or Accugroove gear - these two, plus ACME, will be much more flat and accurate, while the Epi is a bit more round, with somewhat recessed mids. But the Epi sound normally works well in a blues situation. Oh, and the reason that I don't recommend ACME is that I have never heard them firsthand.

13. Bergantino 322 For the money the Avatar 2x12 looks like a real nice choice.
  14. Thanks for all the replies.Philtygeezer,my only gripe now with the Eden is that at 68lbs.I still need to bring one of the Avatars to use with it to cover some of the rooms we play.The Avatars sound good by themselves but they don't cut as well as the XLT.Next gig I'll try just the Avatars in the same room that we played last month with the Eden/Avatar and see if they work.You're right about the 212s,they probably wouldn't sound that much different than my two Avatars.I'm just thinking that if I'm going to haul a 70lb.cabinet into a gig it should cover the room by itself.
  15. TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Me and my back are *lovin* my new Epi 210UL. And, if one isn't loud enough, I, uh, bring my *other* 210UL!
  16. dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    It really depends on your signal chain (including instrument), playing style, etc. The Acme's are so clean that they show up any defficiencies elsewhere in the chain.

I have used Acmes at rehearsals loud enough that the drums were miked and everyone was wearing ear protection. I won the volume battle and forced the whole band to turn down.

I have also heard a single B2 cutting it in a lounge / bar that comfortably accomodated 150 people - and the bass was the best sounding instrument on stage.
  17. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Depends on how loud you play. I think they're awesome sounding cabs, and are very nice to transport... but as cabs go, they're of the weakest.
  18. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Flite are indeed interesting here. Low weight, low price.

Though very little opinions have been posted, on TB or other sites!
    bmc, you have something for us?