1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Listener in Your Band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by b to g is yummy, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Vocalist

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. Guitarist

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Keyboardist

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. Drummer

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Me! (the bassist)

26 vote(s)
    57.8%
  6. Bassist (I play another instrument)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. Everybody listens well

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  9. Nobody listens well

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. Who's the best listener in your band, in terms of listening to what everyone else is going and how it is mixing together (kind of plays the producer's role)?

In my band, I'd say probably me. Sometimes it gets quite frusterating for me actually. Sometimes I wonder how they can't hear how bad somebody's part is sounding in the context of the song, or how good it could sound if they'd only do a certain thing! Can't you improve something without me pointing it out?? Do you not listen to good music outside the band?? lol...ok enough of the rant. I'm really picky with other band member's parts, yet I'm the least musically gifted person in my 5 man band.

It takes patience for them to deal with me tho, they do well handling my critisism/suggestions, which i try to do nicely. Too bad often my comments go something like,

"Rod, your drum pattern sounds kind of wimpy in the bridge, it should be huge."
    "So what should I do?"
    "I dunno"

I should add, our new guitarist (little over a month) is a pretty good listener too, he's still learning the songs, but he'll add a lot, he's more experienced than the rest of us.

And when it comes to hearing pitch, KEYBOARDIST. Wow. I stink at this, but an out of guitar tune doesn't seem to get by him! CLASH, CLASH..something sounds a little off here!!

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I have almost always filled this role in bands I've been in. Right now I do it to a certain extent in my two main gigs, but not as much as in the past.

In my main gig (a RHCP tribute band) our singer actually has the most sensitive ear, for tempos & parts but especially for tones and mixes. Unfortunately, he doesn't play an instrument so we have to try and translate his descriptions and make changes based on them.

In my other gig (a trio with a female pianist/songwriter, myself and a drummer) we really don't need someone in that role. Our drummer is rock solid with tempos, we all have the arrangements down and with just the three of us, getting a good mix is really easy.

3. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie

Mar 10, 2007
    Queretaro
    In a couple of band I've been with the same vocalist, who also happens to be a recording engineer, was clearly the best listener... he wasn't the best communicator though...

4. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Me, cause I'm currently not in a band!

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    My last band used the guitarist from my old band, who now makes his living as a recording engineer, mostly doing radio spots and commercials, but some song stuff. His ears were always good. But they've gotten awesome.

It's a little bit intimidating occasionally. I've got pretty good ears, but he'll catch stuff that I didn't notice at all.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I'd have to say the drummer is the best listener. He'll pick up on stuff the guitarist or myself are doing and drive the entire band. Of course it only works because everyone is listening......

7. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    generally, me.

8. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    the guitarist in my regular band has amazing ears. I think I'm pretty good, but he's way better.

I put together a karaoke band side project where bars get cut, even beats get dropped and structures change mid song and he can pull it off easy. More amazing is the drummer we have for that - he's got ears to match: The singing may suck but it's a kickin' band!

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    She's not in the band. She's my wife, and when I get a gig check in the mail, she can hear the envelope opening way at the other end of the house.

10. von buck

von buck

Feb 22, 2008
    wolcott ct.
    As far as onstage, I trust the guitar player to mix the band.
    But I'm the one who pays attention when we play to see what needs to be fixed arangment wise.

Andy

11. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Wow, a lot of guys voted "me". :meh::):rolleyes:

In my former band it was the 2nd guitarist. He had a lot of experience in studio and live sound. He was the moderator for all these sort of things, sound engineering & arrangements.

The lead guitarist and I admitted that we were mostly occupied with our own thing/sound.
    We did play well togheter though. And with respect to one another.

12. ogrossman

ogrossman

May 20, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    If it isn't our lead guitarist, at least he's the one that is most vocal about it. I think we're all pretty good listeners or else the band wouldn't be as tight as it is. But our lead guitarist is right on top of it if someone starts to play a change in the wrong place or plays a minor interval instead of a major one, etc. I listen hard to lock up with the rest of the band but I don't always hear those kinds of detail.

13. Keyboard player I've been playing with is the best musician I've ever worked with. He's a damn fine keyboard player- but his arranging skillz are formidable. His knowledge and use of theory and good 'pop' sense combined with his very direct communication style are the best. He'll tell you things you may not want to hear- but he means what he says. One of the greatest compliments about my playing came from him when he said "you're the 4th best bassist I've ever worked with." Knowing some of the people he's played with- I take that as a huge compliment.

14. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    It depends on the band, so I voted "other". In one band I'm definitely in that role, but in my other one more or less everyone does it equally much. The latter one is the better one as everyone listens to what everyone's doing. The result is that the whole band sound tighter.

15. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    in my band full of uneducated lazy 17 year olds. i have by far the best ear.

16. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I play in church where the bands are not fixed, but i'm willing to say i have a pretty good ear.

Some keyboardists are really good at hearing how everyone works together, whereas others are too classically trained and tend to only listen to themselves.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021