1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Live Bass Sounds You've Heard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowNotes1, Jan 11, 2012.

1. LowNotes1

LowNotes1

Jun 8, 2008
    And I mean from in front of a stage as an audience member, not on-stage as a performer.

Some memorable ones for me, and these were all small to medium-size clubs.

1. Fender Jazz Bass played by Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes' bass player at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ back in the 70's. Black, white PG, black block inlays. Great bassy tone, yet every note was crystal clear. Got my first Jazz after seeing this show.

2. Rickenbacker 4001, some band whose name escapes me, at the Giulio's South bar in Asbury Park in the late 70's. I owned Rics and never got anywhere near as good a sound as this guy got. My Ric always sounded thin and indistinct; his had lots of bottom but still had the clarity Rics are known for. Always regretted not asking him how he did it. Can't recall the amp.

3. Music Man Sabre, a band called Heat at a bar in Atlanta in the late 80's. Have wanted a Music Man ever since, could never afford it!

2. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    Original 70s Precision in alder with maple, played with a pick - anonymous band on our bill at Iota in Clarendon, Arlington, Virginia in 2005. What rock bass should sound like. SansAmp bass driver into mixing desk. No amp.

3. Stuart Hamm playing a Fender Urge II live with Joe Satriani. I was in the front row, right in front of Stu and his amp. Tremendous, room filling sound that was beautifully articulate and burpy.

Mark King the second time I saw Level 42 live. The mk2 Kingbass had just come out, and despite having singlecoils it sounded like being hit with a sledgehammer. Big, tight bottom end, much more than Mark usually uses. The bass was fierce, and stunning.

Billy Sheehan playing an Attitude bass with Steve Vai, on both occasions I saw them (once from the second row, standing in front of Billy). Just his usual stunning tone, big, beefed-up bi-amped growl.

4. beefandbones

beefandbones

Aug 14, 2008
    Seattle
    The Orange Peels at the San Francisco Pop Fest in 2005. I can't remember the amp, but their bassist was playing an old Guild Starfire. Amazing tone.

5. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Duff McKagan's live tone with Velvet Revolver on the Contraband tour was eargasmic.

Geddy's live tone has pretty much always good.

6. 1) Was not there but for a live album I would say RUSH in RIO!!!
    2) KISS Farewell Tour at Pineknob, sorry DTE Concert Energy Theater (was there).
    3) Any of the Type O Negative concerts that I had seen in person.

Have not been to many concerts in recent years. When I used to go a lot it was almost all metal bands, so the bass usally did not stand out.

7. paparoof

paparoof Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    Most recently:

Joe Lester - Atomic Punks (killer early VH tribute)

P bass into a pair of SVTs atop a pair of 810 cabs.

Hellz yeah.

8. Paco the Taco

Paco the Taco

Dec 14, 2010
    Georgia
    I saw Gov't Mule in 1996 at Liz Reed's in downtown Macon GA. Allen Woody was playing his SG through a very old looking Ampeg SVT and fridge. It was the ballsiest, dirty bass sound, and it was awesome. He played with a pick too.

Second was Nikki Sixx believe it or not, on the Carnival of Sins tour a few years ago. His tone was deep and crystal clear. One of Talkbass's least favorite players (Sixx), playing his Thunderbird ("they're too neck heavy") through a not-too-popular-on-Talkbass wall of Basson cabinets. Nothing technical, but I'd give anything to find that tone.

9. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Martin Turner with Wishbone Ash on the "There's The Rub" tour with Camel(Mr. Ferguson sounded excellent also) at the UNO Arena in New Orleans. I was two heads back from the edge of the stage.

Amy with Clatter at a small WOODEN club in Houston(i.e. sounded great). There were actually tables at this club. I was 2 tables from the stage with her amps pointed at me. We both smiled when the soundman told her to turn up.

Nick Ferber with "The Shieks"(New Orleans band). Anytime we weren't playing and they were, he ALWAYS sounded amazing. KIP714 was kind enough to upload a "had by musicians" video that all had then. Note that this is "New Orleans and Chicago music". Michael(lead singer) was/is unique. Sample:
    The Sheiks - ALREADY BEEN TO THE WATER - YouTube

10. Paco the Taco

Paco the Taco

Dec 14, 2010
    Georgia
    I saw Gov't Mule in 1996 at Liz Reed's in downtown Macon GA. Allen Woody was playing his SG through a very old looking Ampeg SVT and fridge. It was the ballsiest, dirty bass sound, and it was awesome. He played with a pick too.

Second was Nikki Sixx believe it or not, on the Carnival of Sins tour a few years ago. His tone was deep and crystal clear. One of Talkbass's least favorite players (Sixx), playing his Thunderbird ("they're too neck heavy") through a not-too-popular-on-Talkbass wall of Basson cabinets. Nothing technical, but I'd give anything to find that tone.

11. CORBS

CORBS Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Boy Hits Car at the Grog Shop in Cleveland years ago. It was a MusicMan 5 string through an SVT-4 and into an Ampeg 8x10. The house sound system had bass going through it as well so I don't know how much of the tone to attribute to the amp and bass and how much to attribute to the sound guy, but MAN did it sound good. It was really deep but still defined.

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Geddy's Wal tone was magical live. I saw them on Presto and Roll The Bones tours. Eddie Jackson's Spector was awesome too.

13. 123321

123321 Bravely eating @ MacDonald's Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Virginia
    Keith Ferguson's tone sounded so good live!! I was hypnotized...

14. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Swingin' Harpoon Blues Band at the Bradfordville Blues Club in Tallahassee. A Warwick 6-string (don't know the exact model) through an old SVT and Ampeg fridge. Even when I could objectively recognize that the bass player was at half the volume of the rest of the band (guitar, vocals, keys, harp, and drums), I could still clearly hear everything he was doing. And the tone was KILLER!

To me, that is THE definition of cutting through the mix.

15. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chris Joannou of Silverchair in 2008 at the Meridian in Houston, TX. He had a Fender P-bass played with a pick through three Ampeg B-15's. I was close enough to hear the amps and duuuuude it was killer sounding.

16. Reticle

Reticle

Jul 24, 2009
    Charleston SC
    I was at the opening show in Greenville @ the auditorium and agree 110%.

17. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Kasim Sultan playing with Yellow Matter Custard on a Hofner with flats and a pick. Cool woolly sound.

18. The first time I saw Dark Star Orchestra (May 2006). Kevin Rosen was playing his Fender P-bass through an Eden rig. The massive tone blew me away. From the first song, I knew that a P-bass was in my future. I already had the Eden rig. ;)

19. You know, it's wierd, but I honestly can't remember.

I've seen Chris Squier, John Entwistle, Nikki Sixx, Geddy Lee (4 times), and quite a few others, and while I remember hearing and seeing some great bass playing, I don't usually remember the exact tone.

I know I loved Geddy's tone in the old Spectrum in Philly back in the 80s, and didn't like it quite as much at the outdoor Jiffy Lube Live in Northern Virginia in 2010, but I can't quite remember exactly what it sounded like!

I also remember liking Jimmy Bain's tone in the Spectrum during Dio's Last in Line show in the 80s, I think.

On live recordings, sure, I remember those fine...

20. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    To this day, one that stands out to me (and I saw EVERYBODY back in the day--Yes, Zep, The Who, Sabbath, Crimson, Bowie, the list goes on . . .) was Heart. I think I was about 13, and I was standing dead-center at a big arena show in Maryland, and the bass tone was perfect. I wasn't a big fan, but I went to every show my big brother took me to. Was the original guy, and if memory serves it was a P with a pick and an SVT, and I'm thinkin' flats. I was right near the board and the mix was killer.