Best live circuit?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sloppysubs, May 19, 2007.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I guess this would be the right place to put this.

Where, in the opinions of the good folk here at TB.com, would you say the best city for live music is?

Base your answers on terms of venues, how often a band could play, the benefits a band gets (ie not pay to play), variety, poularity, competition, etc.

I live in LA and as we know it has a rather diverse and crazy scene. However, there are the venues of pay to play and the somewhat rushed sets and shady gentleman who do (or don't) pay.

I hear Austin is a hell of a place. What do ya'll think?

2. Austin is amazing. Everything you hear about Austin is pretty accurate. I'm in Dallas, and this area has potential, but at this point, its just that.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Thanks for the input.

Anyone else?

4. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    las vegas ..you can work 24/7

5. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    yeah austin is pretty sick...i live in dallas too, which has a few good venues, most of which are in fort worth now...
    the problem here is a lack of fans willing to go to shows. there are a ton of bands here, some good, most really bad, but there aren't too many people showing up for anything original. For example i think the hottest(get the most gigs) bands in the area are zeppelin and beatles cover bands.
    There are some neat things going on in vegas too, and Seattle is not too bad either.

peace

6. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    It depends on what kind of music you play. It's true, you can play anything anywhere, but you're always going to have more places receptive to you if you play blues and live in Austin, country and live in Nashville, alt rock and live in Seattle, jazz and live in Boston, rock and live in LA, showtune/lounge and live in Vegas, etc. Any decent city will have a good mix, but keep in mind that cities are proud of their musical identities, too.

- Dave

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021