1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best live performance?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by FunkeyMunkey, Sep 4, 2008.

1. FunkeyMunkey

FunkeyMunkey

Dec 15, 2007
    go ahead spill it what is the best liveshow you went to or were playing in.
    well i saw rage against the machine last night here in minnesota and that takes the cake,anti-flag opened for them that was tight and rage opened with bombtrack which was sick as hell great way to start off the night moshing was so sweet and when rage played killing in the name for their last encore song that just blew the night away during the last part where everyone was shouting F*CK YOU I WONT DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!!! the lights turned on and the floor EXPLODED!!!! the whole floor was the biggest pit i have ever been a part of and when that ended every one just cheered looked at everyone else basically congradulating each other for the best night ever,zach closed with a speech saying to protest peacefully but not passivly saying basically to prove that we are more civilized and more disaplined then the them(meaning police and such). this has changed me completely i am now going to be more active then ever in politics and support my beliefs with full force. next convention in four year i hope i can see them again:bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

2. eli_ric

eli_ric

Aug 7, 2008
    winnipeg, MB
    I have to say that muse is probably the best and i've ever heard live. they sound even better than on their album

3. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Crap, I wanted to see that show last night but it just wasn't happening in terms of time and $$$ right now.

Best I've seen is Rush, hands down. I'm extremely biased though...I've been a fan of theirs for so long and had their music as my own internal soundtrack through so much that every show of theirs I see is a new high for me. :)

-Mark

4. spunj13

spunj13

May 14, 2007
    niles, mi
    hmm.. best live performance.

toss up between mewithoutYou about 5 years ago, the Chariot on their first real tour, or Five Iron Frenzy's final chicago show.

though i've been told by several of my more metally friends (guys in death metal bands) that Muse was the best band they had EVER seen live... best performance hands down.

[spunj13]

5. My Fave live gigs in no particular order.

Muse - just a stunning show/amazing sound, better live than recorded.
    Biffy Clyro - for sheer energy and conviction.
    Foo Fighters - Dave Grohl can just hold people in the palm of his hand with his charisma - one of the best frontmen in the business.

We Are Scientists have a good show too, music & comedy -works well,

B

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Alice Cooper circa 1982. Awesome stage show. They cut his head off with a guillotine, and it kept singing as the executioner guy walked around the stage holding it by the hair. I'm still wondering about how they pulled that one off. I saw him again a few years ago, and I think he's getting too old for some of the theatrics. On the plus side, his daughter has joined the show, and she's smokin hot!!

I saw Kings-X at a small venue in Kalamazoo a couple of years ago. That was a great show as well. dUg blew the speakers in the house system!

7. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    saw my morning jacket just a bit ago and it was amazing..

great live show.

8. 95svtcobra

95svtcobra

Sep 20, 2007
    Windham, NH
    First time I saw Rush - Just because I was such a fan
    Prince - UNF&^KING Real. he just sucked the audience in and never let go.
    Billy Joel - Opening night of a tour and he said he wanted to try some stuff out and played for over 3 hours. Still awesome 20 years in retrospect!
    Jimmy Page and the Black Crows -Joe Perry joined them on stage for a few tunes...nuts.

Lots of great shows...I started late and I'm still trying to make up for it:)

9. dustdbass6

dustdbass6 Alembic User

Apr 24, 2007
    Livermore, California
    First time I saw Stanley Clarke, I was blown out of the water. I was 16 and went to a jazz club in Emeryville. Sat right up front to the stage. If I wasn't hooked on bass before, I certainly was after.

Other notables: Foo Fighter/Weezer, RHCP, Ben Harper, DMB

10. Trivium 1 They were amazing
    Children of Bodom 2 support bands were just as good to watch as them
    Muse (although I was too short to see anything they sounded awsome[confused at the lineup yet])
    The Vines were good
    Grinspoon (Aussie Band) were awsome
    The Queen Tribute band were also Awsome (I got free tix because I know the Guitarist, sisters really good friend)

11. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Rush for me too. They just sound so awesome live its crazy.

12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    +1 Hands down. best live show ever. They play all the technical songs too (like Butterflies and Hurricanes) that when you'd listen to the album, anyone would be like, "yeah right, they couldn't play this live..."

literally blew me away

13. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Radiohead back in August.

Setlist:
    1. Reckoner
    2. Optimistic
    3. There There
    4. 15 Step
    5. Kid A
    6. Nude
    7. All I Need
    8. The Gloaming
    9. National Anthem
    10. Videotape
    11. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
    12. The Bends
    13. Faust Arp
    14. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
    15. Everything In Its Right Place
    16. Exit Music (for a film)
    17. Bodysnatchers

First Encore:
    18. House of Cards
    19. I Might Be Wrong
    20. Paranoid Android
    21. Wolf at the Door
    22. How To Disappear Completely

Second Encore:
    23. Cymbal Rush
    24. Karma Police
    25. Idioteque

Two and a half hours of bliss... with a transcendent light show and perfect sound (at the Tweeter/Comcast/whatever center, no less!). Hands down the best show I've ever seen (and there have been quite a few of those)

14. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Both times I've seen Tower of Power they've been fantastic though the sound sucked the 2nd time.
    Stanley Clarke live at a small venue was a highlight as was this last year's Return To Forever reunion.
    I saw Soul Asylum about a year before they hit big (touring in support of Made to Be Broken EP) in a tiny bar and they just tore it up, possibly the best rock/punk show I've ever been to. Other highlights are Sonic Youth/Butthole Surfers double bill, Frankie Beverly and Maze at a huge outdoor concert, and multiple visits with Yellowman, and a last minute front row seat at Spyro Gyra in the late 80's.

My fav performances in my memory though are always the Indianpolis jazz clubs at about 1-2am when everyone was cookin'.

15. JeffC

JeffC

Mar 8, 2007
    I'm going to the Virgin Music Festival in Toronto this weekend. I imagine there will be some awesome performances there. Personally I am really looking forward to:

Foo Fighters
    Oasis
    Against me!
    The Fratellies

Can't wait!!!!

16. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    hmm... toss up between probably Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings and Nice n Smooth, Black Sheep and Orgone (funk outfit from LA). The latter was pretty awesome, hung out with the band for a bit before and after the show. Not to mention it was pretty kick @$$ to see a live band backing hip hop acts aside from the Roots. The next day sucked though, I had to work. :(

I've been to a few big shows, but I prefer the smaller ones. I got to chat with Bosco "Bass" Mann before the Sharon Jones show, got 'em to sign my album too. :) Ivan Milev and his fiddle player opened... youtube him.

Oh, and I dug the hell out of the SF Jazz Collective when they came into town.

17. Muse. Amazing live!

18. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    TOOL - Lateralus Tour...damn was that sweet.
    Allman Bros - Camden last year, lawn seats in the rain and nobody cared.

19. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    Best ever:

Grateful Dead, Oakland colleseum 1991.

Jane's Addiction, Irvine Meadows 1991.

D@mn, that was a good year! The year I graduated High School.

More recently:

Wilco

Built to Spill

Steve Kimock Band

Honorable mention:

Page/Plant

Rush

Bob Dylan

Neil Young

20. Spice Girls, don't hate. They had the best production value of any live performance I've ever seen.

Primus and Tool are close runners up.