Best Live Show

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 311fan2001, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Hey all, who is the best live show you've ever been too.

(these bands are tied at number 1)
    Phantom Planet
    The Urge

(number 2)
    Chili Peppers
    Motely Crue

(number 3)
    Steve Miller Band

Tell me what you think.
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Hands down -- GWAR.

They're so good, I've seen 'em seven times.
  3. The best live shows I have seen were from Rush, Kingsx, Pillar.
  4. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Without a doubt best live band I've ever seen is the dillinger escape plan.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Elton John. At least three hours of music, usually four. Best musicians (Davy Johnstone, Ray Cooper, Nigel Olson, etc.), best sound.

Best concert, period.

6. I think this thread should be expelled just because you put RATT in your top list AND tied them with Rush.

ps - munji, nice new pic :p
  7. John Bufo

John Bufo

Jan 14, 2002
    Salem, NH
    The best live band I've ever seen was the New Jersey hardcore band Fury of Five. They were the most insane and energetic live band I have ever seen, by far.

Also near the top of the list:
    Motorhead, Napalm Death, Dillinger Escape Plan, Manowar, Candiria, Slayer, and Pantera.
  8. 2 Skinnee J's.

les savy fav, fugazi, and 311 are also consistently great, but i will NEVER forget the first time i saw 2 Skinnee J's.
  9. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    The best concert I have ever seen is far

The accuracy was perfect...and the lights were amazing....and of course Shirly was incredibly hot!

another good show is Ben Folds
  10. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Believe it or not, one of, if not the best shows I've ever seen was ZZTop. KISS puts on one hell of a good show. Flickerstick(winners of VH-1's BANDS ON THE RUN) have a lot of stage energy.
  11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Of all the shows I've seen, I've got to say that The Who in 2000 in Chicago is the best show ever. The sheer raw energy left every critic swallowing their words. Some even said, after that show, that The Who schooled their younger-generation counterparts!
  12. only 3 times, but they still have the best live show hands down.
  13. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    My favorite bands to see live are:
    Magma(french band who play weird progressive rock/ jazz fusion that they call "zeuhl" and sing in their own language called Kobaia...saw them at a prog rock festival in San Francisco),
    King Crimson,Rush, Pat Metheny Group,and a local Dallas band called The Spoonfed Tribe( Smashing Pumpkins were awesome the 3rd time I saw them but they first 2 times were so-so at best.
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

As a bassist, I was most blown away by Talas. Perhaps "dismayed" is a better word: until that show I thought my chops had gotten pretty good. But, I used the opportunity to remind myself that chops are only a small part of being a good musician.

In general, what comes to mind are two of the earliest concerts I saw:

1975: Queen / Mahogany Rush / Kansas at the Kennedy Center, a classy concert hall in Washington DC (one of the very few rock shows ever held there). It wasn't a general admission concert, but when the lights went down for Queen, my girlfriend and I ran to the front of the stage... that sort of thing was allowed back then. Freddy saw me singing the words to one of the songs from their first album and he pointed at me and said "very good!" It was their "Sheer Heart Attack" tour (3rd album), and "Killer Queen" was just getting airplay.

1975: I saw Rush open up for Kiss at Lisner Auditorium, a 3000 seat hall, also Washington DC. As I recall it was Rush's Fly By Night tour, and Kiss' Hotter Than Hell tour... 2nd album for each band. Rush played very well of course, but Kiss' theatrics left a lasting impression.
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Saw them a couple years ago. In 27 years of concert-going, that performance was definitely in my top 5.
  16. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Eck! Incubus? They suuuuuucked when I saw em live. There sound and playing was fine but nooo energy!

Anyway, the best band I have seen live would be...BOY HITS CAR! They kick major ass live. They were crazy, played very well and where nice guys to boot. Not to mention Onesidezero (or something of that nature) and Adema (what whores they have become, eh?) Boy hits car took the prize though. I didnt even go knoing the other two bands where playing, it would have been cool if I just saw BHC.
  17. The best concerts I've seen were:

Stanley Clarke
    King's X
    Tower of Power