Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Looking Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 6-3-2, Oct 22, 2005.

1. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Might be a slightly ridiculous thread but it just came to me lately, not too many amps look fantastic, in my opinion. Only amps that impress me with their looks are the Aguilar DB amps and the Orange bass amp. I would certainly choose tone over looks, but I wouldn't mind both. Chime in with which amp you think looks the best. In addition, do any companies have amps with wooden casing? Or is that just too impractical? I know about the Phil Jones Briefcase, love that flamed maple casing.

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Vintage Ampeg SVT and Trace Elliot stacks are some of my favorites.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I think mine looks as good as it sounds :smug:
    www.classic400.com

Lots of good looking gear out there

4. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I like the look of Ashdown's amps with that cool VU meter and all...
    I'm really starting to like the simple look of my Thunderfunk.

Chad

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I like Orange and Metamp looks, and Ear Candy cabs are certainly great looking.

6. Allesandro is a custom(I believe)amp builder that makes sweet-looking hardwood cabs for their heads & speakers. Very pricey, though. I love the looks of SWR stuff, but the couple of times I've been taken it by their looks, I regretted not buying w/my ears(not a knock on SWR; it's just not the ideal sound for me). I also like the looks of GK(last generation, not the current stuff). I do admit to liking or disliking the looks of particular amps, though it's silly, IMO. :rolleyes:

7. Ronny

Ronny

Jul 20, 2005
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I like the grungy look of Laney's amps, and I quite like the look of my Marshall Bassstate B150, although it's not something really special.

Hey, just thought of a stupid word-pun. Victor Wooten should open a line of wooden basses and amps which will be named "Wooden Wooten". Thanks for reading, sorry for taking your time :p

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

All these look great
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the winner is
    [​IMG]

9. They're all beautiful!

10. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Orange and Matamp gear always looks sweet.

I'm also a big fan of the Aguilar look. (I'm also big fan of the Aguilar everything.)

11. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I might be the only one, but I always thought the tuck and roll vinyl on the old Kustoms were sweet looking. Also John Landgraf makes some guitar amps thatLook as good as they sound.

12. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Close, very close. But the true winner is...
    [​IMG]

13. Indeed. Don't they cost an arm, leg, kidney & your first-born, though? :D

14. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I love the DB750 looks and tone!

15. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah, I love the Poptop. They sound gorgeous too. That Peavey looks great as well, I'm assuming that's out of production though. Those Allesandro cabs look creat, but $1,500 per cab, ouch. Any overseas builders that are neat? European stuff and such. All I can think of is EBS and Glockenlang and both of those companies have bland looking amps.

Whoa, that Passlab power amp is something else. I'm not crazy about the looks, but I certainly appreciate the design, very neat. A weight of 200 lbs isn't too enticing either.

16. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Glockenlang

Eden 550 (simple and clean)

ampeg classic

aguilar

new epifani

and for its blue backlit panels hughes & kettner bassbase600!

17. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Another view....
    [​IMG]
    :hyper: :bassist: :hyper:

18. ...hence the name, Matchless.

I really have no idea what I'm talking about- these things could sound awful for all I know, but they sure look nice(Oops, back on topic. Sorry!).

19. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    That Matchless is purty. I like the look of Orange stuff, very unique and cool.