Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best "Low B" on a 34" scale Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ionic Eye, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Ionic Eye

Ionic Eye

May 13, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Hi; that subject line was a confusing one to word!

At any rate, what 34" scale Bass do you think has the best Low B string? How about two categories, regardless of price and, say, $1200 and under?

Any responses would be appreciated; I was thinking 35" all the way, but now I'm wondering, of course... Peace, Matt

2. I love the "B" on my Sadowsky - very strong and articulate all the way up the fretboard.

Also, the "B" on the Zons I've played is very articulate. You can sometimes find used Zons in the $1200 range.

Jeff

3. My picks for 34" B-String heaven are:
    Any Price: Sadowsky
    Under $1200: Stingray 5 or G&L L-2500.

Actually, I find the SR5's B string to be as good or better than the Bs on basses costing many times more (many of them 35" scale.....). The Sadowsky 5er I played blew my mind :D

4. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I vote for the Stingray5

5. For clarity: Zon Sonus series
    For big booty: my FBB

6. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I also vote for the Stingray. I love them, but the body is way too big for a short dude like myself...

7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    1 more vote for a stingray or G&L 2500.

equally good B's.

stingray has more 'mojo', for lack of a better word.

G&L2500 has plenty of tonal options and booty.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Still haven't heard a better 34" B:

[​IMG]

9. Under $1200: Sting Ray 5
    Any price: Sadowsky (duh) :D

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    hell, i think the ray 5 b is better than the sad b.

11. 34": Zon or Stingray
    Best overall: F Bass (34.5" scale)

12. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Hate to be a WEENER.......but I've now owned 3 Sadowsky 5's and find their B not so charming. What do you guys hear that I don't? I think NARUD's got a winner. I'm not nuts about the 'Ray 5's overall tone, but every one I've played had a nice, tight B that spoke well.

13. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
  14. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Modulus Flea5. Very tight sounding/feeling B. (I'm going out on a limb and thinking that composite necks may give you a little more of an edge in a 34" scale model).

IMHO

15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    hey, at least im not hearing things. someone actually agrees;)

the fodera 34" scale b string is equally not that hot. just because its high end doesnt make it good.

the f b string is great two but i think all the 5's are 34 1/2. at least my fretless is.

when i owned my lakland a while back, i owned a ray 5 at the same time and all i kept hearing was how great the lak b string was. the ray had a b that was only slightly less taut, but had just as much focus and clarity in the low notes.

16. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    in summary, try out:

stingray
    G&L2500
    Zon
    Flea Bass (good thought...)

and Brad's weird thing... ;-)

17. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Every German made Warwick I've ever tried had a very good sounding B string,I've not tried the Rock basses however.
    The Sting Ray 5's B string is also commendable.

18. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Ionic Eye,

Just curious... why are you particulary interested in a 34" scale? If it's cost, don't let that be a criteria. As you can see from CW's summary, you could easily pay more than $1200 for a 34". And by the same token, there are some excellent 35" scales you can get for that price - or lower.

Example: Peavey Cirrus, MTD Kingston, MTD Heir,

Just something to think about....

19. Does it count if you have a 34" G and a 37" B string on the same fretboard? Is it still a 34" scale? :D

The Dingwall Afterburners are a tad bit more expensive (althou they show up for about 1200 on Ebay), but the B string is amazing.

frank

20. Yes, F Basses are all 34.5" scale I believe. I've edited my post to make that more clear. :D