1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

best low B under $750 (used)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clef360, Oct 30, 2003.

1. I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I couldn't find any threads that mentioned basses under the $750 price point. Presumably that's because it's just hard to find a good low B on a "cheaper" bass, but let me know what y'all think.:)

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Lakland Skylines have a great B, the best I've tried. The 55-01 is less than $750 new, and you should be able to get a 55-02 used for $750. The B on the Skylines is as good as on the American made Laklands.

I've never played a MTD Kingston, but I've heard they also have a very good B string, and cost less than $750.

Both the Lakland and MTD have a 35" scale length, which is why the B string is so good.

3. So true, so true!

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The Kingston does have a great low B; tapered-end strings will really ring out.

The Yamaha RBX775 also has a 35" scale.

5. ogar

ogar Supporting Member

You can find used Fender Roscoe Beck V under your price-limit. It is told to have excelent low B. Also Warwick Corvette V would be nice. Och, if you purchase Fender, I would be jealous! That is my dream bass!
    Good luck
    Ogar

6. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Roscoe Beck V. Great B string and very tight, especially for a 34" scale bass.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Another bass to add to those already mentioned is the StingRay 5, generally can be found 2nd hand in the $700 to $800 price range.

34" scale and Excellent B string sound!

[No, mine is not for sale.]

8. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Excellent B on the Lakland 55-01 and 55-02. If you can find the 55-01 with a USA preamp (not the MK-1) that's a bonus. All the 55-02's have the USA preamp.

I've had a used 55-01 Deluxe w/USA preamp that was $700, and a 55-02 Std that was $750.

Stingray 5's are an excellent all around bass with a great B. I've had three from $740-825 used.

Two other nice basses for easy money are the MTD Beast and Grendel. I'm pretty sure the bassline on Adrian's Access Bass web site is a Grendel if I remember correctly.

As others mentioned, the MTD Kingston and Heir can hold their own in the $400-500 or so price range.

Don't get too hung up on 34" vs. 35". The Stingray 5 has a great B and is a 34" scale, better than many 35" scale basses out there.