Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best low B under $750 (used)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clef360, Oct 30, 2003.

1. I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I couldn't find any threads that mentioned basses under the $750 price point. Presumably that's because it's just hard to find a good low B on a "cheaper" bass, but let me know what y'all think.:)

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Lakland Skylines have a great B, the best I've tried. The 55-01 is less than $750 new, and you should be able to get a 55-02 used for $750. The B on the Skylines is as good as on the American made Laklands.

I've never played a MTD Kingston, but I've heard they also have a very good B string, and cost less than $750.

Both the Lakland and MTD have a 35" scale length, which is why the B string is so good.

3. So true, so true!

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The Kingston does have a great low B; tapered-end strings will really ring out.

The Yamaha RBX775 also has a 35" scale.

5. You can find used Fender Roscoe Beck V under your price-limit. It is told to have excelent low B. Also Warwick Corvette V would be nice. Och, if you purchase Fender, I would be jealous! That is my dream bass!
    Good luck
    Ogar

6. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Roscoe Beck V. Great B string and very tight, especially for a 34" scale bass.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Another bass to add to those already mentioned is the StingRay 5, generally can be found 2nd hand in the $700 to $800 price range.

34" scale and Excellent B string sound!

[No, mine is not for sale.]

8. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Excellent B on the Lakland 55-01 and 55-02. If you can find the 55-01 with a USA preamp (not the MK-1) that's a bonus. All the 55-02's have the USA preamp.

I've had a used 55-01 Deluxe w/USA preamp that was $700, and a 55-02 Std that was $750.

Stingray 5's are an excellent all around bass with a great B. I've had three from $740-825 used.

Two other nice basses for easy money are the MTD Beast and Grendel. I'm pretty sure the bassline on Adrian's Access Bass web site is a Grendel if I remember correctly.

As others mentioned, the MTD Kingston and Heir can hold their own in the $400-500 or so price range.

Don't get too hung up on 34" vs. 35". The Stingray 5 has a great B and is a 34" scale, better than many 35" scale basses out there.