Best low B?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adouglas, Oct 8, 2003.

1. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I did a search on this and got 14,000 way I'm going to wade through that, so......

Which 5 string has the best low B?

Since going to a 5 and getting a decent rig I've gotten hooked on that throbuphonic burbleicious thumpulational sound. Makes my skeleton resonate.

I've got a Carvin LB75 with the last-gen electronics. And if I like that, I'm sure that I'd LOVE some of the better basses.

So? What's the verdict?

Current GAS: MTD535
  2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I'll take a Roscoe if you're talking low B

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Again, you will get too many hits.

Do it the other way around.
    Take a look at some basses you like and THEN check up on the B.
  4. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I'll say F bass and Roscoe also...from my experience.
  5. I'll say Dingwall from my experience. F Bass is also excellent.

6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    IME, Roscoe 1st. MTD's do very well as do Fbasses. Laklands, Modulus, Sadowskys and Elricks are up there too. The Pedulla Rapture B sounds good, but needs a light touch. A big and solid B has long been my priority and anything that didn't measure up was gone in short order.

Never tried a Dingwall, but those who have swear by them.
  7. widjajar

Apr 21, 2003
    Roscoe! roscoe! :hyper:
  8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i like my sr5 and the pedulla i had.
  9. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    The Dingwall B will take what ever you throw at it. But for sheer punch and low end power Roscoe has it.
    There are obviously alot of good B's out there such as MTD, Modulus, Elrick, Zon, Sadowsky, Musicman, Fodera etc. It all depends on what you want to hear. Personally i loved the sound and punch of the Roscoe, so i bought it.
    The Dingwall B was very good. Why wouldnt it be, with a 37" scale, its clarity is second to none.
    Try as many 5 strings as you can. As i have found, some Roscoes have phenomenal B strings while others have good B strings.
    Try 'em all.
  10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    And you only mentioned American brands so far.

Any German highend bass has great low B IME.
  11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The best I've ever heard came from a Status Stealth.
    Vigier and Dingwall are pretty good too.
  12. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Ken Smith. Best B in da bidniss. Period.
  13. Anything with fanned frets, and 35 inch scales. And a select few 34 inch scales.
  14. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I'd say that Ken Smith has got the best 34" low B, but if you're lookng at all scales combined I'd go with Roscoe for sound and Dingwall for feel. Overall, I'd go with Roscoe for B.

If you think about it, how many of us play a one stringed bass with just a low B?
  15. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I would say that almost anything with a 35" scale will give you a much better low 'B' than almost all 34" scale basses, there are exceptions though (very expensive ones). Other than that it really just depends how much you want to spend, spend at least 1K though, you definitely get what you pay for.

Some of my favorites are the Spector Euro 5, the Fender American Classic FMT 5 (I'm not sure if this is a 34" or 35" but it has a FAT low B)
  16. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    My MTD Kingston had a great low B. One of the best.
  17. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    pistoleroace: That Roscoe you have in Buckeye Burl is SOOOOO COOOOOL!!! You have a very nice collection! I'm jealous.
  18. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I don't think I've EVER played a bass with a better B string than the Clover Bass-Tard 5ver that I used to have.

36" scale with a carbon fiber neck... wooooOOOAH!
  19. JPGT

Aug 19, 2000
    Carlisle, PA
    For my money its gotta be an Ibanez BTB 405, or a MTD Kingston. They are good also.