Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BEST LOW FREQUENCY CAB (for bi-amping)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    Im looking for a good low frequncy cab (to go with my soon purchased carvin r600/swr goliath jr.) rig. I need a good low frequency cab because i want to bi-amp it. I figure the 2 10's with tweeter give a good punch, so with the bi-amp switch, i can get some good, gut wrenching lows/earsplitting highs. The problem is i need to find a good low freq. cab to do this. can ya help me?

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If you have enough power amp, try an Acme Low B2W (without the tweeter). Those little Acmes have some serious low end.

JD

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Several people on this forum reported that the lowest crossover frequency on the Carvin is still a little too high for really good biamping. Lowest is 200Hz, recommended would be 120 or even 80 Hz.
    So you really should try before you buy. Maybe you're better off running two cabs fullrange.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    JMX is right about the bi-amping. It's not necessarily all that great. Just add another cabinet with more low-end response. I've tried bi-amping a couple of times, and it always seems like some frequency gets dropped out in the process.

JD

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    SWR Big Ben 1x18- $550 or so

but the best

Yamaha SW 1x18 Pa sub- $350 or so

that thing gets down to like 25 hz, no strain at all. a very good value

6. The 25 Hz claim is not accurate.

If you look at the response chart and the specs for the SW118IV, you will find it rolls off substantially at 60 Hz. It is down -10dB at 30 Hz, and -15dB at 25 Hz.

Link to Yamaha Specs PDF File

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    seems you are correct...

but those are just specs. that thing pounds out low B.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Probably the best and most expensive would be either a Bag End ELF system or a Servodrive subwoofer.

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Agreed. You can also buy external cross overs for any head, as well. :)

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    IMO as an Acme owner, he hasn't got enough amp for that.:D

11. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Bag End ELF go down to 8hz, but they are extremely pricey (if you figure in the elf-1). If you can afford it that would be cool though.

I personally don't like 18s, so I tend to look for smaller speakers with lows. Bagend has an 8hz 2x12.

12. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Yes the ELF-1 ($2000) is expensive but you may not need all its features. The ELF-M ($800-900) is more than half the price and works just fine to drive one sub for bass. The ELF-M2 ($1000-1100)will drive two subs to a claimed 18Hz. I'm not familure with the Carvin R600 that Dean is planning on getting but he'll need 400watts/8ohms to power an ELF system so this may not be the way to go. I've noticed many multipal 10" cabinets that have a lower frequency response than many 15/18" cabinets.

You don't like the sound of 18" bass cabinets or 18" subwoofer cabinets?

13. Yamaha measures these cabs and publishes the results for very good reasons. You can wish, pray, and believe anything you want and if it sounds great to you, that is fine.

However, the facts are often different than personal belief. When a cab is -10dB at 30 Hz, it is only half the apparent loudness of the higher frequencies. This cab is twice as loud at 60 Hz than it is at 30 Hz. I suspect what you are really hearing is the pounding of the 2nd harmonic of low B (62 Hz).

[ edit ]

My drummer just bought one of these subs, so I'll try and get him to let me A/B it against one of mine at next weeks' gig.

14. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    you are right about the 2nd harmonic being more apparent than the 1st.

to my ears, this is one of the few cabs that handles B with such authority, for such little money. there is no better sub for 350$

15. My drummer got his for $249 at a closeout. I don't see why he would object to letting me play through it next Thursday.

Q: is it Speakon or 1/4" jack connected?

I'll have to make up a Speakon to 1/4" adapter if necessary... want to get that done in advance.