1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Low Tuning strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ronster91, Sep 23, 2008.

1. ronster91

ronster91

Apr 10, 2008
    Collins NY
    I was wondering what you guys use for playing in a low tuning like Drop C and stuff. I want something what some good sound that will cut through even to know it is so low. Thanks, Ron

2. Try Thomastik-Infeld PowerBass strings!

I play in a Drop B and for some time I played in even lower tunings and they have always sounded perfect!!!

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    dr low riders. nice tension for d standard and i've tried drop c and it wasn't bad.

4. All 3 of my basses are tuned CGCF. A while back I started using a "custom gauge" set of SIT Powerwounds in 50 / 70 / 90 / 110 (or 115) for that tuning. The 110 works fine for the low C, and has just about the same tension as a 125 tuned to low B. SIT will make "custom gauge" sets at customer request through your local dealer at the same cost (about $17/18) as a standard set.

Here's a string tension chart:
    http://www.daddario.com/Resources/JD...sion_chart.pdf

5. ronster91

ronster91

Apr 10, 2008
    Collins NY
    Hey thanks for the reply guys. I will definetely check into the strings you guys said. It's just that I always in that low of a tuning and I wanted to see if there was anything better out there than what I had. Thanks, Ron

6. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd think the Lo Riders would rock at that. I've got them in standard tuning on my 5 string, and the tension on the B string is tight enough that I could easily drop quite a bit if need be.

-Mark