1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best low volume cab suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by monsterthompson, Mar 25, 2013.

1. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I'm not having luck with google or the search function, so I'm posting up this thread.

I'm looking for a small cab for low volume use (mainly living room playing, but possibly some mid volume jams if needed). I've found my 15/6 and my Mesa PH115 tend to be a bit brutish for the mission. I'm playing a Nash PB 63 and a Dingwall ABZ5 into a TecAmp Jag 900, and going all over the map from blues and jazz to industrial/metal, but tending toward classic rock. I'm also eagerly awaiting the new Mesa bass tube heads.

I'm expecting a 112 or 210 might be the answer. I'm hoping to get that "pushed" feeling speakers get in the low end (compressed and sub-y oomph), without blowing my walls down. My PH 115 is a smaller box than the 15/6 and it gets a bit more of that vibe at low volumes (though I'm sure other factors are at work).

Cabs I'm considering and aware of:
    1 - I hear good things about the Baer ML112 at low volume, but it is a bit mid-forward for me (I'm sure I could EQ that out).
    2 - EA Wizzy 12 M-line. Played one briefly in a shop and liked it with the Dingwall.
    3 - Markbass 604 - had one for a few days (returned it). I liked the low volume punch, but it was a bit muffled in the articulation.
    4- Mesa Scout 112. The Mesa shop is near me so I can demo it. I played it with a WA combo and liked it.
    5 - Glasstone Lil G has lots of love from several TecAmp players.
    6 - The Crazy 8 or even 88 seem intereting.
    7 - The Fearless 210 seems interesting but pricey and untested.
    8 - Ampeg SVT 210av seems liked and is cheap. Not sure if the tone is a one-trick pony though.

Any that I'm missing in my consideration? Small footprint and low weight are a bonus, and so is cheap-ish (something like a Mesa 210 just strikes me as too big and bulky; almost the size of their 115).

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Most stuff is made for max headroom for the budget so if you want a pushed feel, going tiny, or really cheap would be the way I'd guess. But getting the pushed feel elsewhere, like an amp sim might be more practical.

3. I have an SVT 210AV. It's just OK by itself, IMO.

You could look at the Aguilar GS112 as well.

4. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I've tried the Aguilar cabs and felt them to be a bit thin and brittle sounding. It was the SL112. Any sense of how the two compare/contrast?

5. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Acme B1 or Fullrange 112?

Can be eq'd to sound like anything. Great at low volumes.

6. The Ampeg is "thumpier" than the Aguilar & the Aguilar seems to accentuate the mids a little more than the Ampeg... That's about all I can offer as I've only played through the Aguilar once a few weeks ago.

7. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    The Crazy8 would be more than enough volume-wise. The Crazy88 would sound a little "thicker" due to the double-driver configuration. The Crazy88 is capable of rivaling a 210 volume-wise. Both are excellent cabs.

8. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I once pushed a Marshall 4X12 guitar cabinet for an entire rehearsal. It was one of the best sounding Jams I can remember. Hours of fun.

9. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    is the Crazy 8 missing anything in low end oomph? i'm assuming it would sound similar to a 15/6 on a smaller scale.

unrelated post is unrelated :rollno:

10. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    The Crazy8 is primarily for acoustic bass, although it works fine for electric bass, too. It gets loud enough for a coffee shop type gig (I use mine at wineries for jazz). it is not as "girthy" as a 15/6 because the driver is small (8") and there is no mid-range driver. I'd get the Crazy88 if you're a doubler. You still need to EQ these cabs a bit heavier on the bass side, and they take EQ very well. An extremely clean sound, not colored at all.

Attached Files:

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Old, skinny Bassman cabs sound REALLY good at low volumes (and only at low volumes to me) for bass. They get the exact sound (if I am reading you correctly) that you are looking for. Both the 4-10 and 2-15 versions I have played through sounded amazing for small jams and home use. They might be slightly larger than what you were looking for, but you'll be hard pressed to find that tone any other way IMO.

12. I'll second this... My old Bassman 215 was loaded with a pair of D-140s and sounded nothing short of awesome.

13. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    how old?

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    One of my "preferences" (because it's not an absolute mandatory requirement) are cabs that sound great at whatever volume I'm playing. I'm lucky in that I've found several small cab solutions that can go right to a small to medium gig.

A Euphonic Audio VL110 cab (discontinued) would likely get you in the ballpark. They're 3-way transmission line cabs. They sound great at low volume and the low end production is surprising for a cab that small. I've had mine for several years and they always put a smile on my face. I recently ran a pair on a large gig and as usual they did not disappoint. They have surprising heft for their size and like power.

EAVL110IMG_20130223_215358_zpsf0446b04.

I really slept of this next cab... my Low Down Sound 3-way 1x8 airhead cab. I didn't seriously use it until recently when I loaned out the VL110 I use in my home office. Brought in the LDS and was amazed at the sound quality and nice solid lows. Now I use it everyday... if I can sound great everytime I plug in, why not do just that? Bonus was that the airhead seems to be designed as a perfect fit for my Acoustic Image Clarus 2R and my Kustom KXB500 fits like a glove too. Of course the cab is available as a non-airhead. I'd put it right up there with my VL110 cabs.

LDS1-8andAcousticImageClarus4S2P1020904_zpsccdf2030.

My living room to big gig champ is my Glasstone Lil G 212 cab though I haven't used one at home for a while other than for testing purposes. They sound great at either volume and anywhere in between. I love being able to hear every detail of what I'm doing no matter how quietly or loud I'm performing.

LilGIMG_20120712_182049_zpsc90dd238.

PreampsMarch2013IMG_20130315_153209_zps5e339ac4.

If you like the way your basses sound and like the way you sound on them, any of these should do the trick IME. I also have an AER Basic Performer combo and that is flat out amazing. I lucked into a couple of them, if you're patient who knows... you might get lucky too. They're definitely worth looking for. For an old school vibe my Ampeg B100-R is hard to beat.

AERandKXBNov2009.

15. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I'm very happy with my Greenboy Bassic12 with the Faital driver. 12/1, 27 lbs, 300 watts. Great with a small Class D head like the Carvin BX500.

16. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I used to run EA VL110s - heavy little buggers, but nice cabs. Very articulate.

Since you said the ML112 was too mid-present, maybe Berg CN112. It is a bit smoother there and has a nice warmish low end push.

cn112-1.

17. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    Have used one Genz Benz NEOX 112T (now NX2) for very low volume supper clubs and last weekend w a really loud rock band rehearsal.

Works perfectly for me, light and full at low or loud volumes. They been selling way cheaper than last year if you look around too

18. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
    I have the LiL'G, and use it often with my TecAmp Black Jag 900 for either big or small gigs. However, the Aguilar SL 112 is a very nice cab for low volume gigs. I have two of them, and they are really sweet sounding cabs. A little pricey. But if you call now, Glen at Bass Specialties has one that he is selling for $585, they are normally $759. 215 244-4079.

19. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    +1 with the Acme Low B-1. Small, full range, fairly light and big full rich sound. Can do old school and Hi Fi bass sounds.

I have a B-1 and LMII. Wonderful "living room" rig and practice rig. Also great for low volume band practice.

Look for used on TB and save big money. That's were I got mine.