1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Luthier Books?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Brendan, May 8, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know you guys mention books from time to time about said subject, but how about a collective of the books you amateur luthiers (and pros!) find the most informative, most practical, most useful, ect.

I ask
    1) So we can have a nice little contained list on the subject
    2) I'm starting the bass project, and need the best books available (much as many of us are deciding to do)

I hear sombode mention something like Melvin Hichcock or some such, who didn't have specific plans, so that you would build YOUR bass, not a copy of his, and that was supposed to be really good?

OK, start yer reccomendations...Thanks

2. I just read Making your own electric guitar and bass by Dennis Waring and Dvid Raymond. Sterling Pubs NY. ISBN 1-895569-70-2. It covered all the basses. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

3. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I would recommend Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock. Melvyn goes through two guitars, a bolt on and set neck as well as a neck-thru bass. Very informative and very easy to follow.

Geoff

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    There are some free guides on assembly and setup at www.stewmac.com. They also sell tools, parts, etc., if you didn't already know about them.

I can't remember who wrote it, but I have a book entitled "Make Your Own Electric Guitar and Bass" which is pretty comprehensive - makes the whole thing look laughably easy, which it isn't.

I also recommend "Complete Guitar Repair" by Hideo Kamimoto.

5. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I agree, this is an excellent book.