Best Luthier Books?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Brendan, May 8, 2002.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know you guys mention books from time to time about said subject, but how about a collective of the books you amateur luthiers (and pros!) find the most informative, most practical, most useful, ect.

I ask
    1) So we can have a nice little contained list on the subject
    2) I'm starting the bass project, and need the best books available (much as many of us are deciding to do)

I hear sombode mention something like Melvin Hichcock or some such, who didn't have specific plans, so that you would build YOUR bass, not a copy of his, and that was supposed to be really good?

OK, start yer reccomendations...Thanks
  2. I just read Making your own electric guitar and bass by Dennis Waring and Dvid Raymond. Sterling Pubs NY. ISBN 1-895569-70-2. It covered all the basses. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
  3. I would recommend Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock. Melvyn goes through two guitars, a bolt on and set neck as well as a neck-thru bass. Very informative and very easy to follow.

4. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    There are some free guides on assembly and setup at They also sell tools, parts, etc., if you didn't already know about them.

I can't remember who wrote it, but I have a book entitled "Make Your Own Electric Guitar and Bass" which is pretty comprehensive - makes the whole thing look laughably easy, which it isn't.

I also recommend "Complete Guitar Repair" by Hideo Kamimoto.
  5. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I agree, this is an excellent book.