Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best made-up first name ever

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Dec 24, 2003.

1. AQUANETTE

The poor girl to whom the name belongs is an attendant at the Kangaroo gas station on the northwest side of Gainesville, Florida.

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

There was Aquanet hairspray. My mom used it in the 60's.

3. Yeah, all the "hair bands" used that stuff. Back in the '80s my mom had a can in her makeup cabinet, too.

My mom's theory is that poor Aquanette was named for the hairspray her mom used on the night she was conceived.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...yup, that's up there with "Orangello" and "Lemongello".

:meh:

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My wife is a nurse, works with a lot of high risk folks. She tells me all the wacko names. The best yet is a woman (E.S.L. but fluent) who named her daughter Nausea.

6. I'm surprised you haven't taken this obvious opportunity to make fun of NoFla.

On the other hand, you're from the part of the world that gave us Britney Spears and Brett Favre, so maybe you aren't one to talk. :smug:

PS:
    GO GATORS!

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    No kidding, here, true story. My wife was working ina dental office in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands back in 1996-1997. "Local" woman in the dental chair, going over her medical history. She's pregnant. Wife asks her if she has any names picked out, she says "if a girl, Chlamydia. I think that's a lovely name, a flower I think."

My wife didn't have the guts to tell her it was a venereal disease . . .

8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Peter Lemongello was a pop singer a la Tom Jones in the 70's. He played at my college once. :spit:

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    There's a basketball player at my school named Majestic. His little brother's name is Scientific.

Sorry I guess the names of the people I know aren't so out there.:(

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I was going to name my daughter "Pheasant LaWanthwa," but my wife put the kaibosh on that. So I named her "Mosqui."

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is the kind of story I just LOVE.

12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    a little girl in my brother's kindergarten class was named Special. But I think her parents were really dumb, and accidently spelled it Speshel.

13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Several years ago there were three gypsy siblings attending the elementary school where my mom teaches...the older two were twins, Pebbles and BamBam, and the youngest, who was in my mom's class was named Smurfette.
    :rolleyes:

14. I think parenting classes should be mandatory for every pregnant woman (and the father, if he can be located). One of these classes should be a guide to picking baby names, with special emphasis given to the importance of picking a name that will not cause the child grief later in life.

"Pebbles" or "Bam-Bam" is not going to look particularly good on a college application or a résumé.

15. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Classes don't matter when the parents are drunk, high, baked, or wasted when it comes time to pick a name. :meh:

16. i have some in my bathroom.

17. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I know two Identical twins named FAITH and HOPE, their older sister's name is CHARITY, and their younger sister is JOY... its kinda odd.. but whatever, they are all cute

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    DAYHM!!!

You smug bastid!!!

:p

I ain't makin' fun of NoFla, I actually much prefer it to SoFla!

You can't blame me or where I'm from for either Brett or Britney: Brett is from Mississippi, that's another state man! (Yes, Kiln is only 15 minutes from Slidell, but man, trust me when I tell you that state line is a tangible presence!)

Britney is from west of Baton Rouge, and west Lousy-ana might as well be another state from the Florida Parishes where I grew up. Talk to Tripster about that one, he lives in Sulfur! (Who the heck would name a town Sulfur?!?!?)

You want an example of what we produce: Gatemouth Brown. He lives in Slidell, and is an incredible musician. He's also an honorary St. Tammany Parish Sherrif's Deputy....maybe I should shut up now...

:eek:

:D

(Oh yeah, the Gators may have beat us this year [caught us napping], but my Tigers are playin' for the National Championship, essentially at home, this year :D GEAUX TIGERS!)

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Aisha Tyler called. She wants her act back.

20. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I saw a story on the news awhile back about a guy who changed his name to the title of his favorite book: "Trout Fishing In North America."