1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

best man speech

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sublimestylee, Apr 10, 2009.

1. sublimestylee

sublimestylee

Aug 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    I need some advise. I'm gonna be the best man at my friends wedding. we were the best of friends growing up, then after high school he joined the navy and we lost all closeness, and we rarely see each other now since he is constantly traveling. And im not sure really how to handle this without being akward. btw, the girl he is marrying is a selfish you know what which really makes me not even wanna go to the wedding. any suggestions?

2. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    If you're drunk enough, you'll know what to say when the time comes.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Keep it short. Tell a short story from you guy's childhood. Wish them all the best. Be the bigger man. If you guys aren't all that close any more and you're the best man, he probably doesn't have too many buds these days. Add to that a selfish fiance and he's already down. Just keep it cliche' and don't try to knock it out of the park. Good luck! I've done a bunch of these. I wasn't the best man at some of them, but the best man didn't want to make the speech so they asked me (Does that mean I have a big mouth?)

4. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    I have one of those coming up a few months....Had this whole shtick I was gonna do...

"All my life I've looked up to my cousin Mike, he got me into nature, astronomy...most importantly music......and I hope some day I can find a girl who makes me as happy as Lisa makes him...."

Now I'm in a relationship though, so I can't really use that one....back to the drawing board.

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I'd reccomennd standing up when they ask the whole 'does anyone object to this coupling...' thing and say "Jim (in my mind your friends name is Jim, or James, which is long for Jim) I know as of late we havent been all that close, but as your best man I really can't let you marry this worthless ***** without saying you can do better" then just casually stroll out like everything is AOK.

6. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Look on YouTube, theres some funny ass ones on there.

I started out my speech with

"Fornication... (pause for about 5 seconds until the crowd stops laughing)... Excuse me.. For an occasion such as this,"

7. Just get trashed and make it noticeable, then go up and be like .....

"You know, me and _____ go wayyy back, you know I've always been there for him when he lost his woman, like this one time on his birthday we were in chicago and we were drinking at this bar and he was pretty down because he had just lost his current girl so I bought this hooker who was out front, a real tight looking young thing, couldn't have been more than 16 or 17. Anyway, as we rolled a joint on her back and passed it back and forth over her smoking it, he told me that if he ever got married, that I would be the best man. So here I am today." And then you turn to his new wife and say "And ____, just be glad I stopped him from trying to marry that hooker, because two more drinks and I probably woulda let him."

8. BE all sweet and sappy. GO on about romance and true love and even throw in a subtle hint that you are a bit envious. Then begin fornicating with the drunken female wedding attendees.

9. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    This.

10. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
  11. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You don't even want to be there, you don't like his girl, you barely know him anymore.

Do the right thing, and decline the offer. Let him find someone else. Otherwise you'll be standing there lying through your teeth in a moment that will be preserved in history.

-Mike

13. Time Monkey

Time Monkey Banned

Jan 9, 2009
    California
    Its obvious...

Slit her throat, drain her blood into a sewage drain, de-bone her flesh, and then shred the meat so it looks like shredded beef, and then sell the meat to a taco stand.

14. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Do you want to sit and talk about it?

15. Time Monkey

Time Monkey Banned

Jan 9, 2009
    California

Yes. :bawl:

16. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Time Monkey, are you ME, from the future?

17. Time Monkey

Time Monkey Banned

Jan 9, 2009
    California
    No... I'm way cooler.

You could say... uh... I'm Mega. Yes. MEGA!!!

MEGA

18. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Damn (sortof. Im glad you're not, since that would mean i presumably live in the USA at some point).

Cus you seem to think like me......

19. Time Monkey

Time Monkey Banned

Jan 9, 2009
    California
    A bit, I suppose.

Main difference?

You're a salad man... and I eat steak.

MEGA STEAK MADE FROM DEAD COW CORPSES!!!

20. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    ROFL