Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Manufacturer of mass produced basses for quality control.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nosedivekarma, Jul 25, 2005.

1. nosedivekarma

nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    Hi, following on from my enquiries about MiM Fenders I really need some advice on any manufacturers out there that offer better quality control for about the same price range. I'm thinking of buying on-line because I live miles from a guitar shop (and the nearest one stocks next to nothing anyway) so need something that i'd be pretty safe with buying without checking first. I'm looking to play a mixture of punk and sabbathy heavy rock and have a maximum of £500 to spend.

Thanks, your help in other threads has been brilliant so far.

2. Sounds like an Ibanez bass would suit you well. They are good for heavier music and you rarely hear complaints about the quality, although the overall quality of the instrument is lower than a Fender, in my opinion. Still it would be safer to buy an Ibanez than a Fender when it's sight unseen.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    When it comes to mass produced instruments, it is hard to do better than Ernie Ball/Music Man. The SUB series may not appeal to you lookwise, and they cost more than MIM Fenders, but they are lightyears ahead in terms of quality. Yamaha is very good also. Since you're in the UK, it should be pretty easy to track down a Yamaha BB414.

4. just4fun

just4fun

Jul 24, 2005
    I would consider yamaha or a Japanese Fender.

5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    yuo make a very interesting post,a nice for me and others,i go to learn about mass production instruments(the weapon of choice of poor guys like me) this thread is going to be a must to read for bassits here.i think Ernie Ball and Fenders have nice QC units in their factorys.

6. Ibanez basses are great once you hit about $500 or so. You either love them or hate them. I would suggest yamaha if you are on a budget but I would agree with the other posts about Ernie Ball if you can swing it price wise. What is your price range?

Yamaha is a better bass IMO though....

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    +1
    I have to say my active SUB 5 is probably one of the best deals I made in my life (based on the ratio quality/price). Tonewise, it is VERY close to my old Pre-EB StingRay 4, but with that extra low B.

The finish (textured blue on mine) is a bit weird at first sight but finally looks cool, especially on stage with the light systems :

[​IMG]

The SR5 is also a great bass though somewhat different (due to its different electronics), but unless one also finds the deal of his life, it won't fit a $500 budget...

Hope this helps,
    Jay

8. Yamaha, MusicMan and Ibanez have amazing Quality Control/consistancy

9. nosedivekarma

nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    Price range is up to £500 (which believe it or not is about the same in dollars when it comes to basses)

10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Oops sorry, but even in pounds, I think no SR5 can be found for 500...

11. I would reccomend buying a MusicMan S.U.B. it's £50 above your price limit but it's a fantastic bass for the money - made in the USA - only difference between that and a normal stingray is the pre-amp and the finish

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=12588

12. Ibanez, MIJ Fender and music mans it seems

13. nosedivekarma

nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    Hmmmm, the SUB5 hasn't been one i've ever considered, which is weird considering if I had the extra money i'd get a MM Stingray in a shot. So long as I can change the horrible pickguard i'll be fine.

14. +1 on music man = definitely superior quality control than either Fender or ibanez.

yamaha are good once you hit a price range.

with Fenders, generally if you find a really good MIM or MIJ, I would suggest they are keepers.

hope this helps

15. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Hands down, Lakland Skylines.

With patience, clean used ones can be found in the $500-600 range.

16. nosedivekarma

nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    This has been a great help so far, and i'm definately edging towards either a SUB or a Yamaha.

17. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I'm partial to ESP LTD basses. I haven't played a bad one yet, even around the $200.00 mark. They definitely beat the crap out of Ibanez and Yamaha, IMO. Good luck with your search.

18. May I just make another recommendation for Yamaha. Their low budget basses, I've found, edge out their competitors as far as quality control and durability go. Some might not like their tone, but I definately think Yamaha are a sure bet for a good instrument. I own the Yamaha RBX270, passive electronics and a Precision/Jazz pickup combination. It doesn't capture the full jazz sound, but I can get a brilliant precision tone out of it by using just the P pickup, and mixing both pickups makes for a very strong, cutting tone indeed. You'd easily afford the model up from mine, with active pickups, or the BB414 (which I haven't had the pleasure of trying out yet, but seems to get universal praise).

I guess they're on par with Ibanez, but I personally found the Ibanez basses I tried out quite uncomfortable to play. And I've heard rumours that lower priced Ibanez necks are kind of... not built to last, and warp easily. Might just be rumours, though.

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    £500 = $872 US dollars...lots of good choices in that price range.