1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Markbass head for NY604 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anton72, Oct 30, 2013.

1. I've recently got a Markbass New York 604 cabinet and now looking for what would be Markbass best head to accompany it. I'm currently hesitating between F1 and LMIII. Need a compact and powerful rig. As for playing style I play fingers and slapping quite a lot, no pick. Basses I use are USA Spectors. Your opinnion is appreciated. Thanks!

2. MarkBass users, help!)))

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The F500 is a great fit (check out the review of this exact rig in BGM #6), but IME/IMHO, you'd also get great results with the LMII, F1, Big Bang, or any other Markbass head. The EQ on the F500 is really nice, though, and it's a solid output section (not that the others aren't, as well).

4. Tom, thanks for sharing!

5. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    I used the Big Bang and it performed well. I had a pair of the 604's for awhile and the sound was big and full.

6. I only gonna use one 604, hopefully enough for small venues. But is one 604 cab will be enough for such powerful amp?

7. mam1862

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    There were plenty of times that I only took out one cab as the venue was small. So to answer your question the amp is not too powerful for just one cab. Maybe down the road you will get a second one and you will have a real nice sounded portable rig. I only got rid of them recently as I upgraded to a Audiokinesis TC212.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Keep in mind, most solid state amps put out about half of their power into a single 8-ohm cab (since most are rated for max power into a 4-ohm load).

9. Soooo...today I've had a chance to A/B three MarkBass heads: F1, LMIII and BigBang. And the Oscar goes to BigBang:) Awesome head. It seemed to me very close to LMIII but punchier and "quicker". At least it kept the same tone character of LMIII not the F1. I compared them with the same cab NY604, switching one by one. With the same settings BB seems a bit louder than F1 and a bit more aggressive than LMIII. LMIII is awesome also. Don't know what is better - take new BB or used LMIII with about $300 difference....again, both are brilliant sounding amps. Just a bit more features and compact size with BB...

10. mam1862

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    If you can swing the extra money go with the BB. If you won't miss the aux and headphone jacks you will be just as happy with the LMIII.

11. BTW what if I plug in drum-machine in BB aux in and play through cabinet - may drum-machine output possibly damage speakers?

12. mam1862

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    I have done that before. Just watch the volume level and you should be alright.

13. Finally I bought used LMIII for 70% of new price and run the rig today in live setting in mid size venue...Amazing. Loud and punchy. Not particallary very low with my NY604 but very articulate and tight on low mid side. This is my new Markbass rig.

Attached Files:

• mb1.
      mb1.jpg
      File size:
      112.4 KB
      Views: