Best market for selling a high quality double bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Kai Sanchez, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Kai Sanchez

Kai Sanchez Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Miami
    Hi everyone. I have a friend that might send me a Lamy to help him sell it here in the U.S. His other option would be to try to sell it in Europe. Which is the better market right now for selling a high end double bass?
    Thanks,
    - Kai

Steve Boisen and Rattfink like this.
  2. I'm not a huge expert, but the US market seems to always put basses at higher values. The question is whether or not the difference will justify the transport of the bass over here.
    If it does come to the US, I'd love to give it a shot.

Kai Sanchez likes this.
  3. Manhattan.

nbsipics and Kai Sanchez like this.
  4. Rattfink

Rattfink

Jan 31, 2014
    Denver,CO USA
    Definitely not Denver CO USA. You find those things on the sides of the road, discarded along the highway. Homeless people use them for pan handling, then leave them on the ground when there done.

5. mdcbass

mdcbass Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Seacoast of NH
    Here's one at ISB
    Seller: Kim Plewniak, Spokane, WA
    Phone / Email: Please login as a member or fill out the CAPTCHA phrase above.
    Asking Price: $34,000.00 Negotiable
    Size: 7/8
    Date Made: Late 19th Century
    Papers: No
    String Length: 42
    Maker / Nationality: Thibouville Lamy
    Performing Capacity: Orchestral, Chamber
    String Setup: Low C Extension
    Shape: Gamba Corners, Large Shoulders, Flat Back
    Additional Description: A great orchestral instrument that has a beautiful deep and clear tone that projects fully to the back of the hall. The measurements are: Overall height 73.5", Body height 45.25", Upper bout 21.75", Lower bout 26.75". This bass is in fantastic shape and has a big, booming sound that has served me well in my orchestral work for many years. More pictures upon request.
    CODE: 20180501

20160624-Kim-Plewniak.jpg
    (Click photo for high-resolution version.)

Kai Sanchez likes this.
  6. Kai Sanchez

Sep 12, 2006
    Miami
    Thanks mdcbass. It looks like the bass will be sent to me. I'll post it on the classifieds when I get it.

7. There are many grades of French guild basses.

8. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    If your selling in Florida shouldn’t have climatic probs but a winter in NYC or other rough climes might wreak havoc unless humidification is spot on.

Kai Sanchez likes this.
  9. Kai Sanchez

Sep 12, 2006
    Miami
    Here are some pics of the bass.

Attached Files:

slappahdabass likes this.
  10. The prices in the UK always seem higher than anywhere else to me. Bear in mind that I'm not an expert. Just a guy that spends too much time looking at basses online. :)

The other option might be Robertson's. Their prices seem higher than anywhere else in North America and their stuff sells.

Kai Sanchez likes this.
  11. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Of course you'll need to know the commission rate wherever you consign it. I've seen 15-25%. Negotiation is recommended.

Kai Sanchez likes this.
  12. Who appraised it? Some say that you should only trust a label if you were looking over the builder's shoulder when they placed it in the bass.

13. Kai Sanchez

Sep 12, 2006
    Miami
    Gage and The Bass violin shop take 20%. I'll try to sell it myself before putting it up for consignment.

14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    This is what happens when you have dockless bass sharing.

tonequixote and BobKay like this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022