Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best match for my new IAMP800 and I need it to be versatile from Metal to Jazz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by djshawn47, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Epifani UL410

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Bergantino322

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Bergantino 112 EX/HX combo

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Acme B4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Accugroove El Whappo Jr.

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  6. 2 Euhonic Audio 210s

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  7. Your suggestion......

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Comments welcome......

2. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I'm using an NL 210 cabinet in my rig right now and I like it very much. It's easy to move around and it sounds really great. I don't have an EA amp so I can't say how well it works with this cabinet but I'm using a Crown MacroTech 1200 and a SansAmp RBI and nothing else. We play lots of different styles in our band and this rig is very versatile. Adding a second NL210 is something that I've thought about and it would be very handy at outdoor gigs but it covers everwhere we play very easily.

This cabinet for me took a bit of adjustment. What I found was that I was somewhat over eq'ed when coming from an Ampeg "batmobile" 410 cabinet. So taking some time to experiment with the EQ can be very rewarding this cabinet is so accurate that a little bit goes a long way...

3. schroeder
    schroeder
    schroeder
    schroeder
    schroeder

:)

take you amp over jorg''s place and try em out.....

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, if you need cut, the Schroe's will rock you. and seems like a few jazzer guys 'round these parts dig the Schroe's sound, too.

5. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Godd luck in your journey!! You are looking for the best of both world, (jazz=smiley eq, metal=mid pump) so, again good look,

I dont play jazz, but i know it requires clean bass sound, metal,most of the time harsh sound!! :hyper:

happy holidays!

6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I voted the dual nl-210, but I am rather enamored of my cxl-112/nl-210 stack.

7. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    remember: In metal, you will require a very very loud cab, I didnt hear any of those, but ,make sure that is loud

just my 2 "metal" cents

8. +1 on the Schroeder. If you are playing very loud and need to cut through really loud guitarists, the Schroeder will help with that, especially given the very clean sound of the iAmp. A 4ohm Schroeder410 should do the trick better than most of the other cabs you list IMO.

9. Nigel

Nigel

Sep 16, 2004
    Denmark
    Gallien Krueger NEO212

Very versatile, light, loud and not too pricey...

Mate it with a second NEO212 or maybe a NEO115 for louder gigs (metal)...

10. Bump for all those who have been on vacation.

Thanks

11. The EA guys need to change that cab to 4ohms so that it matches up with the iAmp800 (and most other SS heads) better. There's very little reason to use two 410's any more (unless you are playing stadiums). Given that, an 8ohm 410 doesn't make that much sense to me (IMO)

12. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Can't disagree with you there. EA did a 4ohm 210 for jokerjkny so probably could do the same here. Although 2 X 210 is more portable and allows for the smaller set up that the poster seems to be looking for in the jazzmetal vein :)

13. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Is the 800 a mono design? That would make two 8 ohm cabs match the load of the amp wouldn't it?

14. Yes... but who uses two 410's! It makes more sense to offer the 210 in 8ohm (which they do) and the 410 in 4ohm (which they don't) to optimize the output of their highest power amp to their larger and smaller cabs. That would allow for the iAmp to pump out 800 watts into the 410 or two 210's, or about 500 watts into a single 210, which seems just about right to me.

It's not a huge deal, but again, I would guess most of the players drawn to the EA line are probably not pounding in Metal bands. Therefore, a single 410 would probably be the largest cab considered... so... why not match the EA410's 1000 watt power handling capability with the iAmps' 800 watt output into 4ohms?

15. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I misread the last post about the 210. Yeah that does seem odd. Especially since the Mn410 is supposedly a ball buster of a cab. :eyebrow:

16. THE NM410 is an interesting option. It is not that i am playing Jazz Metal, but the bands i play in range from Reggae to funk to Jazz to metal. I play in two bands and together the bands pretty much cover it all.

I mean an all out metal band wouldent do as good with a walter woods/ bergantino set up as he/she would with an Ampeg SVT classic/810 and visa versa. I am trying to find the middle ground. The cab to match with my IAMP 800 which i purchased due to its power/ portability factor, and now i am trying to make the tone work. I already figure that i can take my Bassdrive pedal and add a touch of overdrive through the compression switch just to rock the tone out a little when needed because the IAMP is very "Hi-fi".

Know what i mean?????

17. The only reason that I suggested the Schroeder cab earlier in this thread is that I found the iAmp800 and Epifani410UL matchup a little too clean and hi fi sounding. However, you can knock down walls with that combination, and the 410UL is so light that it's almost funny. The Schroeder line of cabs IMO would 'warm up' the iAmp800 a little more.

18. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Well, you say you're looking for middle ground; I suppose any high end cab COULD do it, but you might be better off going in the other direction cab-wise with such a neutral sounding amp. Schroeder? Eden XLT?

P.S. I haven't demoed any EA stuff.