Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best match for the B2R?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by swamprock76, Feb 16, 2004.

1. swamprock76

swamprock76

Feb 15, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Anyone?

I play medium sized clubs/bars and need the perfect cab to get the most power out of my new B2R. The people at Guitar Center have not been much help.

Thanks!
    -E.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Well, the maximum power rating occurs at 4 ohms with the B2R...beyond that, you'll need a very efficient cabinet because the B2R, while being an excellent sounding head, is a little weak in the output department, despite its 350 watt (into 4 ohm rating).

If you can afford it and can carry it, perhaps an 8x10 would be the best cabinet for it. After that an SVT-410HLF is a nice cabinet.

When shopping ask for a very efficient cabinet...perhaps an Eden D410XLT or Avatar B410 and a B115 (8 ohms each). You could probably buy both Avatars for the price of any other single cabinet that I mentioned.

Have fun!!!!

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    When I owned an Ampeg SVT200T, basically an older version of the B2r and SVT350h (SS 350 watts 4 ohm), I was able to be loud enough to make soundmen and club owners complain. I was using an Ampeg 410he and an Ampeg SVT18e (no longer made). My suggestion would be to try the 410he with an Ampeg 15 (whatever the curent model is). I have learned here at Talkbass that it takes an amp with twice the wattage (everything else being the same, bass, speakers, cables etc...) to notice a slight difference in percieved loudness. 4 times the wattage to be perceived as twice as loud. So unless the b2r is only putting out 175 watts, you shouldn't hear much difference between it and any other solid state 350 watt amp.

4. I've got a Crate BT-350 which, I've been told, is a B2-R with a Crate name. I've used it with my old 2x15 EV cab (4 ohms) and it was great. However I've also tried it with my Hartke 4.5 XL (8 ohm) and it was a bit of a weak sister.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Ohhhhh Crate rebadged Ampegs.... Never though of that.... Time to start paying attention to ads for Crate amps!

Does the BT-350 have Ultramid and everything?

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You'll need a very efficient cab with it, because those are the quietest 350 watts you'll ever hear. You're better off selling it and getting a Peavey or Yorkville head.

7. swamprock76

swamprock76

Feb 15, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Between the time I posted the original thought today, I went out and traded it and the Eden D212 XLT cab back in. I came home with a SVT-4PRO and a PR-410HLF cab. Damnit to hell this is a sweet setup!!! You get what you pay for.

Thanks again!
    -E.

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Daaaang there ya go!
    I think you made a wise decision.
    Sweet rig!

9. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Wow....nice choice. I've only played through the PR410HLF in the store, but every time I do I have to believe that that cabinet is one of Ampeg's best kept secrets...

Enjoy your fine new rig (for at least the next 29 days) :D

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You'll need a roadie with that. ;)

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    a sledge hammer.