Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best metal album of 2002

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tsal, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I am ready to vote Sentenced's ninth album, Cold White Light the best what world of metal has to offer this year. They are simply unstoppable in style. The tone is brutal and huge, but there's an aura of melancholy surrounding their songs which I could only descibe familiar to Finnish people. I even like their guitar players' style carving great, melodic riffs and solos on the canvas of air. Not really any trash metal, nu-metal or anything as trendy or popular today but melodic and skillful yet sad songs about love and death.

I've also seen them live two times this year, and both times they took their audiences of thousands just like that. Their bassist even got EBS sponsorship recently, so I bought his old Hartke head off him.

I really like the song 'Blood And Tears' off the Cold White Light. Check them out if you can - www.sentenced.org is their homesite.

Edit: Their homesite, interestingly enough, seems to have couple whole songs along the samples from their albums. Very nice feat.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't know, the 2 songs I heard (Cross My Heart And Hope To Die and Blood And Tears) are just like harder H.I.M. material - I doubt that that's sufficient quality for winning that title.

The jury is still out there since I haven't heard the full album yet.

3. And the year 2002 has still more than 2 months to go. And a lot of metal albums will still come out this year..

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yup, the new Opeth is still due...

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    JMX, I think one could make such in a hurry - true the lyrics are bit similar but if you listen further, you'll notice that HIM and Sentenced are lightyears apart. I think Sentenced has nothing of that HIM-style sell-out attitude, and their musicianship is so good. Not a single poor song on the album as far as I have heard.

Besides, I don't like the comparison. These guys have been doing their stuff a decade and suddenly people are talking about how they are but a copy of some recent pop-band favoured by 16yr old girls? :confused:

PS. I have heard Opeth quite a bit, and while they have good songs around I don't think they can come up with as solid album as Sentenced. Anyways the best metal album of the year clearly is a contest between European bands, there hasen't been any good US stuff for years.

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Like I said - I only took a brief listen to 2 songs, I can say more in the next few days...

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'd automatically count that as a contender, although the new Borknagar has my vote so far.

Anyone heard the new Darkane - "Expanding Senses" yet?

8. weezer - maladroit. :D

seriously though, a lot of that album is pretty damn metal.

9. Mine goes to Dillinger Escape Plan, but what do I know?

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ya it's pretty good, but dont compare it to finnish metal;) Best metal album ever, Meshuggah: Destroy Erase Improve.

Oh ya,, IMO Or, whatever it is that saves my biased tail everytime i say something.

11. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I'd go with Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done, with Pain of Salvation's "Remedy Lane" a close second.

12. I'm sure my vote will go to Mudvayne's new album, when it comes out on November 19th. I hope I am right.:D

13. linkin park- reanimation.
    just kidding

14. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I really hope you are - when I think of all those innocent vinyls that were slaughtered to press those CDs... :D

15. You scared the hell out of me I almost thought you really liked that album :)

And I would like to go with a dutch band named
    Dreadlock pussy with their cd Tsumi.. good stuff

16. hayngman

hayngman

Aug 20, 2002
    Wise County, TX
    Yeah, MuDvAyNe's "The End of All Things to Come" (Nov. 19)
    EDIT: Sorry Kraig, I didn't see your post at first.

I haven't bought many albums due to financial constraints, but Coal Chamber "Dark Days" is decent and DOWN II rocks. Killswitch Engage is good also. There's many heavier albums I'd like to get but can't do it at the moment.

17. what about "Violence Has Arrived" by GWAR. I think that came out in '02, it may have came out late '01. but anyway, dang heavy album! I think GWAR wants to take back the 'Theater Metal' scene they once dominated back before all of the Mudvaynes, Mushroom Heads, and Slipknots sprouted up.

18. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I just the other day bought Hate Eternals new album and it is awesome.
    Brutal and the musicianship is second to none.

Hate Eternal- King of All Kings

19. Chinese Democracy I bet 10 Bucks it will be the best.