1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best metal for bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Doner Designs, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Not a joke thread and NOT about the best bass for metal. This is a question about pre-recorded music.

Dream Theater (progressive/metal) which I love has served as a gateway drug leading me to listen to a bit of metal for the first time in my life, so my question is:

What are a few metal bands/albums that have prominent and/or interesting bass parts?

I seem to prefer the 70's early metal vibe vs the modern stuff. For example I like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath better than Metallica (except for some of the more popular Metallica tunes). Light and/or melodic is better than harder and non-melodic. I guess another thing I should search for is bands similar to Dream Theater.

Thanks.

PS - the answer to that "other question" is that a Doner Designs bass is the best choice for metal (and every other genre). ;)

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Try listening to Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun.

If you like that, there is a whole big world of desert rock out there that may interest you.

jackn1202, Joonbug and Doner Designs like this.
  3. trjh2k2

trjh2k2

Jul 19, 2009
    Gatineau, QC
    The obvious answer to me sounds like Opeth. Lots of 70s influence I think. Lots of good bass stuff. Also lots of variety, some pretty heavy stuff and some really chill/mellow stuff. For the heavy stuff start with Ghost Reveries. For the chill stuff, start with Damnation. For stuff with an older-influenced vibe, start with anything from Heritage or newer.

4. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    I just googled desert rock. Interesting. Had not heard the term before.

5. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue

Oct 9, 2016
    I think nickel silver does fine, but I'm hearing good things about stainless steel.

--^@

6. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I like Tool.
    Maybe Fear Factory? :cigar:

7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Dan Briggs from Between The Buried & Me has some great lines. If you like or can tolerate screaming, check out the following:

Disease, Injury, Madness: He's pretty busy throughout the whole song, but check out from 6:48 on, with a melodic solo around the 8:00 mark.

Astral Body

Ants of the Sky is another one where he's pretty busy

Much of their music too. He's a very talented player. Definitely worth checking out but that'll get you started.

8. MajorChugg

MajorChugg

Sep 7, 2018
    Glasgow
    I have just started out in the world of excellent noise making on 4 strings.
    Been a BM fan for years but I'm smashing a washburn xb100, nux distortion pedal and a laney linebacker atm, using a mates octave pedal too. What I can say is the worst it sounds the better it is. My setup cost less than £100 and it's awful :)

Keep on rotting in the free world!:)

9. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    A second to Kyuss, also their album Welcome to Sky Valley. The first Queens of the Stone Age album has some great bass lines too.

Dr F clef likes this.