1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Metal or Punk Records with just ONE guitar track

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by activa44, Mar 14, 2019 at 5:38 PM.

1. activa44

activa44

Dec 17, 2018
    Yo dudes and gals! I've been looking for an offtopic section but I didn't find it, I think this is the best... if not, move the thread, please (admins).

Double-tracking, triple-tracking, quad-tracking, even more... it's a well too common technique. It's mandatory these days, but it was very popular in the 70s, 80s AND 90s (that's probably when it became actually mandatory) as well. But still, there are/were some records in the underground in which the band didn't care about that and chose to record just one guitar track per song.

Name some because I'm curious to hear.

I'll start with early Venom, early Bathory, early Deviated Instinct, and Darkthrone's Under a Funeral Moon.

Early Sodom seemed double-tracked to me...

2. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    You might not get a lot of responses in a Bass forum with this post. How about The Vandals?

activa44 likes this.
  3. activa44

activa44

Dec 17, 2018
    Yeah, that's why I was looking for an off topic section...
    I'm just assuming that here there's someone that plays both and could be interested in such a thread.
    Also because, not double-tracking leaves more room for the bass. You can hear the bass very clearly in all the ones I mentioned.

I don't know the Vandals, by the way, link a song (or an EP or whatever)!

4. activa44

activa44

Dec 17, 2018
    Oh, did Motorhead double-track?
    I don't know... it actually sounds like one track, in the good ol' songs.

But I might be wrong.

5. Anything by the Ramones.

activa44 likes this.
  6. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Yup, the classic lineup didn't double track, I think. Fast Eddie Clarke played either rhythm or lead.

By the way, I'm not endorsing this stuff. It's from 1982. Animal House and Caddy Shack were still popular.

activa44 likes this.
  7. activa44

activa44

Dec 17, 2018
    Yep it seemed like he didn't double-track, indeed! Very good.

And yes, that sounds like a single guitar track, the Vandals track.
    The track isn't bad, but yeah... ''shocking content'' for shocking times. It's pretty edgy. lol
    But as I said, the song is nice. It seems strange, but I'm guessing that Black Flag always double-tracked... right?

8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    The vast majority of Minutemen and Firehose songs use a single guitar track. That goes for Mike Watt's solo records, too.

fretter and activa44 like this.
  9. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Everything Bad Brains

activa44 likes this.
  10. In metal from time to time an album will blow up that was “recorded live in a studio” by that I mean they didn’t multitrack/overdub stuff to death it was basically mic up the band, get a decent mix and then hit record. The early Suicide Silence stuff was actually recorded like that.

But actual live in concert albums are great also. And can range from MTV unplugged albums to stuff like Metallica’s S&M album.

I’ve always wanted to record an album live either one of those ways. I do appreciate the over produced stuff also but sometimes it is nice to hear something more raw/primal. Part of why in recent years I’ve gotten so into acoustic rock with all the old mtv unplugged albums. Because rock and metal has gotten to be a bit ridiculous when it comes to using backing tracks and stuff. To me it was cool when for example Slipknot was the only band that had all these bands members (9of them) all playing their parts live but these days everyone has keyboards and additional guitar tracks and stuff on backing tracks to try to achieve the sound of their albums and it’s just not “rock and roll” to me. One extreme case I’ll give is my band opened for Fozzy like a year and a half ago and even their lead vocals were on the backing track. All he actually did in the microphone was talk to the crowd, act like a hype man does in hip hop, and pretend to be singing it was kind of joke in my opinion.

activa44 likes this.
  11. activa44

activa44

Dec 17, 2018
    Yeah, that's why I listen almost only to, as you said, ''raw primal'' stuff.
    I don't like Suicide Silence and I don't even like their genre, but I'll give them props for recording a few records like that...

Kvelertak recorded Nattesferd live in the studio, but they have three guitarists so it's a bit different from what I was talking about.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  12. Yeah they aren’t really my thing either. My favorite song I’ve heard from them was actually when Randy from Lamb of God did this after Mitch died.

I’m really more of a rock guy. Every once in a while I’ll listen to heavier stuff but yeah the deathcore style or whatever really isn’t my thing as most of the bands in that style tend to sound the same.

activa44 likes this.