Best metal setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by puck299c, Jan 16, 2002.

1. puck299c

Jan 5, 2001
    I need something cheap basically but I dont want it to sound like crap. I bought a crate and it sounded great playing anything else, but it sounds terrible with metal. I have a friend that will sell me a hartke 1400 head, an Ampeg SVT-3 pro, a hartke 3500, or a rogue rb-200bh with a hartke 4x10 cab. Should I go for it or look for something else?
  2. A good cheap metal with good tone! That's simple copper all the way but if you want to go even cheaper I'd go something in transition... j/k

I'd say Hartke, they are inexpensive but still good quality and have a great punch that really helps to cut through. But stay away from the rogue what ever you do, there's a difference between being cheap or just plain crap.
  3. I'd say get the SVT-3pro and the hartke cab and you should be good
  4. EsTeBan

Dec 15, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    I own the Hartke 3500 and it's a very good amp and very cheap. It's loud, punchy and did I mention LOUD. I'd try to get the Hartke cab too. A hartke amp and cab sound like butter!!!

You would not go wrong with the Ampeg either. Stay away from anything that says Rogue in it. Unless it's a comic book.
    Ha Ha...I sometimes forget how funny I am.

Good luck...
  5. Dont waste your time with cheap stuff buy the AMPEG SVT 3 PRO and save up and get a SVT 4x10 You wont be sorry......:D :D :D

6. Hmm... I sure was. I'm now playing with SWR which I think have a more full tone and their equiment is very easy to use with a variety of music styles. Ampegs are fun but you can't do all that much with them. But I don't want this thread to become an arguement over what amps are best just giving some words of experience. A Hartke head and maybe a Hartke cab (you may want to go with a different one) will give you a good setup with plenty of punch for what your doing now.
  7. Thats cause you know Eden is far superior than SWR :D :D
  8. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Best metal setup

If you're really looking for a metal sound, I'd go with a bench grinder and a piece of half-inch angle iron.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

I really have nothing constructive to add to this discussion.
  9. Stay away from the SVT3. It will not give you the volume you need to play metal music. Go for the Hartke 3500 and 4x10. That should cover you for now, and you can add a second cab later or trade up to an 8x10 without having to buy a new head.
  10. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i'm not a fan of the SVT3pro. i used to have one and then i sold it. not enough volume. i preferred the SWR sm 400s. the ampeg good name with hard rock and metal is due to thei old all tube amp that were enormous sounding. these new units are good amps but they have nothing to do with the old ones. i suggest a used ashdown or trace elliot head for metal. eve peavey is really good. which bass are you using?
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I'd go with the Ampeg head...and maybe, if $$$ permits, an Ampeg cab to go with it. You see a great deal of professional metal players gigging through ampeg, and not every single one of them can be a complete doofus. Well, if they all were, that'd be kinda interesting, but regardlesss, I think an Ampeg rig would see you through...
  12. Hi there,

I'm using the SVT 3 Pro with an ampeg SVT15E and an ampeg SVT410HE .. (Yamaha 1500 and Ibanez BTB 405 QM) I play in a metalband with 2 guitarplayers, and I swear they play VERY loud ..

I have no problems whatsoever cutting through ... and I just love the ampeg sound. (the preamp = tubes!) .. I think it's very suitable for playin' metal ... I tried Hartke too, and I liked that tone too ... I would try both and let my ear decide ...
  13. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Just read my profile...That will get you where you want to go.