Best Metal Tone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by darkjoker667, Oct 2, 2003.

1. darkjoker667

Apr 21, 2003
    I was thinking of the metal bassists with the best tone.
    I was thinking Danny Lilker from SOD on the album Speak English Or Die and Geezer, especially on the Paranoid album.
  2. These guys are probably considered more as hard rock players:
    John Paul Jones
    Doug Pinnick
    Robert DeLeo
  3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Im a fan of Cannibal Corpse bassist Alex Websters tone specifically Tomb of the Mutilated. For distorted tone my fav grinder bassist is the guy from Brutal Truth (the Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses album) and second would be Shane from Napalm Death. :eek: :bassist:
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The bass sound on the Damn The Machine album is still one of my favorites.
  5. Steve Harris
    Jason Newsted
    I.C.S. Vortex
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    John Paul Jones
    Justin Chancellor
  7. BassJaro

Jul 30, 2003
    yeah, Alex Webster's (Cannibal Corpse) sound kills, especially on "The Bleeding". I love it.
    Also Sean Malone's tone on Cynic's "Focus" is great. These both sounds are just always audible and have their own place in the mix - and that's not easy with this kind of playing, right?
  8. Sheet Metal with a 1/4 hole drilled in each corner and then braced between two stable poles with bungee cord and "S" hooks.

Hey it works for Einsturzende NeuBauten and IS my favorite metal tone of all time. ;)
  9. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Alex Webster - on Tomb of the Mutilated and Gore Obsessed

Steve Harris - on Killers and Number of the Beast

Jason Newsted - Garage Days Re-revisited and his recent stuff (post-Metallica)

Rune (from Tristania) - World of Glass

Sami (from Nightwish) - Oceanborn
  10. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    You mention Geezer...Yeah, for fat, all-around great rock tone, I'd have to give it to either Geezer or John Paul Jones!
  11. Justin Chancellor and Ryan Martinie:cool:
  12. Eric Langlois on all albums, especially ...And Then You'll Beg

Steve Digiorgio on all records he's played of especially with Testament's Souls of Black and Death's Symbolic.
  13. BassesOfDeath

Sep 13, 2003
    Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse is THE metal bassist.. The guy's hands are just a blur when he's playing.
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea i forgot bout Martinie.
  15. BassJaro

Jul 30, 2003
    DiGiorgio didn't play on those albums, man.....Greg Christian played bass on Souls Of Black, and Kelly Conlon did bass on Death's Symbolic.
    you must've meant "Individual Thought Patterns"/"Human" and "The Gathering"
  16. David Ellefson (Megadeth)- the Jackson tone on Rust in peace, Countdown to extinction, also the P bass tone on The world needs a hero

Billy Gould (Faith No More)- the real thing
  17. Yea your right, good research fellow metalhead! :)
  18. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002

:D ;)
  19. Sean_Malone

Aug 29, 2003
    I'd have to agree with those who mentioned Alex - he's an exceptional player in metal and has a right-hand technique pretty much all his own; "machine gun bass" as I like to call it. ;)