1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best method for installing J pickup on P Bass??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Droach313, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Droach313

Droach313

Jan 3, 2018
    Probably beating a dead horse here but does anyone have experience adding a J pickup to a P bass? Whats the best method? Routing templates?

2. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore?

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    I’ve heard a rusty steak knife is the best way to achieve that vintage sound/look.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Seriously, there are some great templates available. Makes it a fairly simple mod.

Beej likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    From what I gather you want to cut the finish with a razor before routing to avoid chipping the finish.

This is a hit and run post in a section of the forum where I am far out classed. So I will go away now and leave you to some very skilled advisors. :D

Beej likes this.
  4. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    Very carefully.

5. Droach313

Droach313

Jan 3, 2018
    You guys are killin the dad jokes on here!

6. Double stick tape and a neck shim to raise the action enough to clear the pickup.

Seriously, there’s plenty of inexpensive templates available. Pattern follower bits from Woodcraft or online. Try the template over the pickup before you route. Not all jazz pickups or templates are the same.

Attach the template (really can use double stick tape here), use that to score the paint around the outer edges, remove most of the wood with a Forstner bit and drill press, route away.

You’ll probably want a long drill bit, called an aircraft bit, to drill the wire channel into the control cavity.

Sounds easy...:thumbsup:

Beej and RBS_Johnson like this.