1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Mic for "not the best" Laminate Upright - Troll? DPA? AMT?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by pre-cbs, Jan 17, 2017.

1. pre-cbs

pre-cbs Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2007
    San Diego
    I've been working on getting my Upright chops to gigging level. I normally play a NS EUB but I bought a no name Chinese Laminate upright a year or so ago and it's time to take her out. I put on a Realist but it sounds thuddy like it cuts all the highs out, kinda restricting. My bass sounds pretty good acoustically so I'm hoping a mic is the answer.

Out of the popular mic kits out there, what's the best for a laminate?

Troll? DPA? AMT?

thanks

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Any of those three microphones can sound very good, depending on the proximity of other instruments and the acoustics of a particular space. The DPA has excellent off axis rejection, so it's
    less likely to have issues with feed back. If you're not looking to drop $600.00 the Ovid TBone is a knock off of the DPA.
    There always seem to be ATM microphones in the TB classifieds.
    Come to think of it, I have one that I need to list. The ATM's tend to work well dirrectly into an amp. The Troll sounds magnificent in the recordings I've heard.

Ric

vin*tone likes this.
  3. pre-cbs

pre-cbs Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2007
    San Diego
    Thanks Ric, where can you buy the Ovid in the US?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  4. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I don't think you can, I got mine through Thomann Music in Germany, even with the exchange rate it was @
    $150.00.

Ric

5. The Realist often has no highs, but that is not necessarily an argument to switch to a microphone. For a laminate bass you can try a Full Circle, an Underwood or a Shadow SH-965NFX, which is mounted like the Realist but has more highs (but not as much as the other two mentioned before).

bassfran and Ric Vice like this.
  6. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Pre-CBS,
    There is an Ovid for sale in the TB classifides.

Ric