best mic under $60 U.S.D.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Justin V, Dec 25, 2001.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I just got my money from Christmas and I'm planning on buying a four-track and a microphone. I've only got about $70 for the microphone. I don't really need anything fancy, just something to record in the garage with my friends on.

All suggestions are much appreciated.

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Fro $79 you can get a Shure SM57. A very good vocal mic, a great instrument mic, THE snare drum mic. Very versatile and will last a long time.
  3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I was thinking about the 57, but I was a bit curious about other options also.
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    It depends on what you're going to use the mic for... Do you want a dynamic or a condenser? What polar pattern do you want?

Hypercardioid - super unidirectional, mostly used for live performance where feedback is a problem.

Cardioid - still unidirectional with some off-axis rejection, but still picks up some room sounds. (SM57 and 58 fit into this category, as do many dynamic mics)

Wide Cardioid - "mostly" unidirectional, but actually in between unidirectional and omnidirectional. Many so-called "Cardioid" pattern condensers fit into this category. The sound quality is often more detailed, but bleed-through noise is difficult to eliminate without a controlled recording environment. A good "Cardioid" condenser for little money is the MXL 603, at about $80.

Omnidirectional - just like it sounds, it picks up signals from all directions. Sometimes referred to as "reference mics", these are a good choice when you want to hear the TOTAL sound happening in a room without singling out any particular one. Earthworks makes the top of the line omnis that I've heard, but you can get a nice omni condenser from Behringer for about $'s called the ECM8000.

Remember that with any condenser you buy, you'll need phantom power to supply voltage to the diaphragm (dynamics don't need phantom power). Some multitrack units come with phantom power, but most do not.

What kind of 4-track are you planning on buying, and what will be the main function of the mic you want to buy?
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    unless you want it for vocals too. what do you want to do with it specifically? Ass/u/ming it's top record music, you can't go wrong with a 57.